1999 Nissan Patrol ST 2.8 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand
I bought it to last, but it's crap
1. Shimmering or shaking throughout the car.
2. Faulty brakes.
3. Gearbox jumping out of third gear.
4. At 60000kms, overheating.
5. Under dash rattles.
6. Seat belt clunks as you change gear.
7. Heat coming into cabin (unable to fix) - their answer, use air-conditioner.
8. Clips to hold rear seats cracked.
9. Faulty tyres.
10. Exhaust problems.
1. Whenever there was a problem, the dealers give you the brush off.
2. I have lost around 20 days off work with no compensation from Nissan, not even another car to get around in. They don't even help you to get home when you drop the car off; all of this is your own expense.
3. In a lot of cases, the problems are still going, and it seems to take them three months to repair the problems
4. Others have the same problem.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 12th November, 2002
21st Jun 2003, 04:34
The 2.8 litre engine is certainly a heap of underpowered you know what.
15th Nov 2004, 07:12
I own a 99 st patrol 2.8td and get a lot of shuttering when you take off quickly at intersections turning 90 degrees, and a lot of turbo lag through gear changes. Otherwise I've done 130,000kms and haven't had a problem. Off road it seems to out do the 80 & 100 series land cruiser. Also on the highway it has better overtaking speeds then most 4x4's I've driven. I have put my patrol through some pretty tuff terrain and it has never failed to impress. All over not a bad truck.
18th Feb 2008, 23:34
180,000km and ours is still going strong. Have replace the clutch and rebuilt the gearbox at 160,000km. We tow a 1.5t boat and it has no trouble towing it. It is not drag car, but goes bloody well if you know how to drive it.
20th Oct 2009, 21:58
I bought a 2000 Patrol new in Queensland with the ZD 30 motor.
Around 25 thousand K, the dual mass fly went, and after much reluctance Nissan replaced it. Brought it back to New Zealand and at 200 thousand k the motor has blown. No3 piston has a hole thru the top, valves had it, injectors worn out already. Possibly the injector pump has gone as well.
I bought this wagon thinking that it would last. No such luck. They are just a pile of crap.
Nissalusioned New Zealand.