2008 Nissan Versa SL 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Great roomy design, but flawed build quality

Muffler welds broken due to poor manufacturing.

Coil spring broken.

Something is worn in the front end, hopefully just bushings!

General Comments:

These are roomy, comfortable, usable cars. But I have growing concerns about the build quality.

We bought the car new, but two failures directly due to materials/build quality problems really have me thinking I should sell and buy something else.

Something else technically not "wrong", but points to cheap engineering/build; when parked with one back wheel higher, the body twists enough that the rear hatch binds when you close it. Not so impressive!

My previous Mazda Protege5 had more km on it when I sold it, and it was absolutely flawless in every way from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. Should have kept it!

Review Date: 5th July, 2014

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback from North America

Summary:

The car is defective

The car has 60,200 miles and the transmission is blown... no warning, just a screeching noise and done... Nissan will not help with the repair (200 miles over the power train warranty). Nissan does not "fix" transmissions, but wants $3000 - $4000 to replace it. Opened a case with Nissan, but was told they could not help at all. I guess they really don't stand by their product.

Have to have the car towed to a different transmission shop for repair.

Will NEVER purchase another Nissan, used or new.

General Comments:

The car itself was a great little hatchback... nice and roomy. Drove well until the transmission blew.

Review Date: 11th September, 2012

14th Sep 2012, 20:24

9th Jun 2013, 13:28

Word of advice. Sorry to hear your tranny blew. But be a bit resourceful. Check online for crashed cars (Versa) or a reliable transmission rebuild shop. I actually got my tranny on eBay for my Lincoln Aviator. Good luck.

14th Mar 2014, 19:00

This is why I loathe the implementation of CVT transmissions. I flat out won't buy one, it's an awful drawback. Lots of vehicles I like that only come with CVT's and I can't buy them.

Luckily the Versa does offer the 6 speed manual AND I believe the older style (and more reliable) REAL automatic transmission. None of that CVT nonsense in the normal 4 speed auto.

2008 Nissan Versa SL 1.8 gas from North America

Summary:

A good car overall - if not seeking too much thrill

Nothing wrong so far.

General Comments:

The best way to describe this car is: A "Good" car. I really can't complain too much about anything, although many parts do leave a lot to be desired.

On the positive side, the car does have a lot of room for how small and fuel efficient it is. I've averaged around 32 MPG, and that's with my heavy right foot.

The CVT transmission is fun to play with once you get used to it. It's a little weak in the power department, although it doesn't do too bad in Chicago traffic.

The heating and cooling system is very hard to get to a comfortable spot, and the defroster is VERY weak.

I previously owned a 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 5 speed, and would call that a GREAT car - The Versa - A GOOD car.

Review Date: 26th January, 2011

2008 Nissan Versa S from North America

Summary:

The little car that could!

None.

General Comments:

This car is so much more than I anticipated; I bought it to commute when gas prices went up, but it has been so much more.

It's economical, spacious, zippy in traffic, responds well and comfortable.

With a removable roof rack, I can carry two kayaks.

The trunk, while it looks small, actually fits a decent amount of gear. (4 people, a dog and a weeks worth of luggage for each on a 1,000 trip and no one complained!)

I have found that by removing the front passenger head rest and pushing the seat all the way forward, it WILL lay flat if I get caught in bad weather while camping.

Get better gas mileage in winter when not running the A/C of course.

Only thing I would change about this car is the lack of arm rests on the front seats.

Review Date: 29th September, 2009

30th Jan 2010, 13:46

You put FOUR people, a dog etc in the trunk... LOL.

31st Jan 2010, 16:53

"You put FOUR people, a dog etc in the trunk... LOL."

That's obviously not what the original reviewer meant...

8th Sep 2010, 07:59

I agree, it's a very spacious car. Congratulations!

18th Sep 2010, 14:21

I got an armrest for my Versa from ebay for $40. Best thing ever, and easy to install.