18th Jul 2005, 21:42
Purchased 1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS in May 2003 for my wife with 78,000 kms. Car is loaded with lots of power and a real good stereo. Other than that, it has been nothing short of the biggest lemon I have ever purchased in 35 years of buying/leasing vehicles. Here is a list of the things that went wrong after 80,000 kms.:
- right and left front hubs replaced twice
- dash trouble lights constantly lighting up- - 3 ignition modules and $1200 later, only the Service Engine Soon light is permanently on.
- only 2 settings left on heat/air fan: high and highest
- right front coil spring broke at 116,000 kilometres
8th Jan 2006, 19:45
I must have hit the Jackpot with my 99. Besides replacing my sixth wheel bearing just before Christmas, I have all of the above problems and my fuel tank rusted out at three and a half years. Like a previous poster, my family has driven Olds products since 1970. This is absolutely the worst excuse for a car that I have ever owned.
6th Feb 2006, 13:40
Next time I'll wait a few years til they work out all the kinks!!!
I really liked the body style and extras (lthr, alloy wheels) that came with my '99 Olds Alero - purchased in 2000. After a while though, I found that I should have done more research.
Besides minor repairs (brakes)
- I've had to repair a head gasket leak TWICE!
- My C/V joints - went out
- My rear window defogger hasn't worked in years!
- My Radiator cap went bad (have you ever heard of this??) causing my car to overheat - in the snow - no cell + 2 kids in the car with me!!!
- My Alloy wheel has had to be replaced after hitting a pot hole - thanks!
- THIS morning, my blower (heater/defrost) quit working.
- I can't wait to get rid of this thing - Yes, it's finally paid off, but WHAT NEXT?!