1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme from North America - Comments

22nd Jan 2009, 13:01

I have a 78 Cutlass with a 260 V8. Just put 2000 in body work and hope it's worth it. Does anyone know how to modify this engine?

19th Feb 2009, 17:44

I inhereted a 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It has a 260-V8 and get this...it's a 5 speed. I have tried to find more like it, but haven't found one that runs like this. From what I understand, my dad special ordered it. Does anyone know how I can find out what it's worth. It has original paint and rims and its in great shape and runs great. Thanks, Olds Guy.

28th Apr 2009, 20:23

There was a statement that the 260 was only good for 15 mpg. Can't be true, in Colorado (high altitude), I regularly get 20 mpg in a salon 4-door with auto trans, and speeds up to 70 mph.

13th Jun 2011, 13:15

We also have a 78 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 260- V8 and it's a 5 speed also. This one was specially ordered by my father-in-law. We have been trying to find others like it and also the value. Have you had any luck?

13th Jun 2011, 19:49

To: 22nd Jan 2009, 13:01.

The best way of modifying the 260 is to rip that pathetic excuse for an engine out & throw in at least a 350 in its place, along with at least a TH-350 trans. The only things that the 260 are good for are:

1. Boat anchor

2. Door stopper

3. Paperweight

13th Jul 2012, 20:28

Pertaining to the 260 V8 being good for nothing more than a boat anchor or paperweight, I have to disagree. It is a fantastic, reliable engine. It will also pilot an Olds -- and allow it to cruise for miles and miles to speeds (with the 231 rear gear, which was common in the late 70s) to almost 130 MPH, in stock form.

As a weekend drag racer of more than 25 years, I can say that powerful it ain't, but it's got as much oomph as a Chevy 305CID, when fitted with a free flowing exhaust. There are very few performance parts for these small V8s, but with some ingenuity (ported heads, an aftermarket intake, exhaust and a small 390CFM 4bbl), you can achieve an honest 220 HP with decent fuel consumption. They are not hot rod engines, but they are fantastic street engines, and if well cared for, there is no reason one cannot see a quarter of a million miles out of one. I saw over 200K on mine, and it was running strong when I sold it.

Overall, if you want inspiring performance, drop in a 350CID. Otherwise, the 260 is just fine -- especially with a 700R4 or 2004R tranny fitted. The fuel economy should be 20-22 MPG at 70 MPH, and with a TH350, you should get 17-18 MPG.

14th Jul 2012, 11:33

To the poster of 13th Jul 2012, 20:28:

If a 260 Cutlass could have reached 130 mph stock, I guess that would mean that the 1972 W-25 455 442 that I had years & years ago would most likely have been good for 200 mph!

19th Sep 2013, 19:55

Well he did say that with the right rear gear... Yeah, I had a 78 with that engine and mine barely pushed past 120, but the damn thing won't die; it still goes, and on the roads it will get 25 MPG.

The only issue I have is the speedo doesn't work, and neither really does the fuel gauge, so I often have to guess with the miles...

I still have the old girl, but due to money issues and gas prices, I've had to buy a small Honda for its fuel efficiency and ease of driving in the town I live in.

20th Sep 2013, 15:37

Likely your 442 Big Block would blow up. I have 411 rear and it is roaring at 70.

Add another comment