1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

Good old Olds

Alternator caught on fire at 23,000 miles.

Battery exploded at 25,100 miles.

Steering wheel popped off while going to Chicago at 29,000 miles.

And my Exhaust needed to be replaced at 71,000 miles.

General Comments:

Although it had some issues and almost made me wreck on my way to Chicago I still loved that car.

I got the car from an old lady who lives down my street for $600 when I was 15.

It had a nice Navy Blue paint job with a Black Vynal roof and Blue interior and was a spacious 4 door.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2007

1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Just a Delta 301 Pontiac from North America

Summary:

If you can only have one car and you want to get where you're going, Delta 88!

Not much went wrong with it. When I bought it, I cleaned out the engine well, almost totally disassembled it. I replaced the trans with a rebuilt one, $468.00 installed. It did get a little ratty with all those miles. I had some exhaust work done on it, too. The headliner disintegrated at about 300,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car was the most reliable car I ever had. In all the years I had it, it cost me $1,200 total, including tires, the trans, and purchase price, which was $62.00! And, I was using it like a truck most of the time, towing some very heavy loads. You could drive the thing up and down curbs at 50 and it just shrugged it off. I can't say enough about this car. When I sold it, it still ran perfectly. Use Marvel Mystery Oil.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2005

1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.7L from North America

Summary:

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!! ; )

Timing chain & gears, differential had chewed up gears, heater core leak, distributor, all have been replaced.

General Comments:

This car kicks ass! 23 years old and still running great, needs body work, but the frame is in great shape cause I oil spray it before every winter. the 350 is pig on gas, but has that nice power and tone from the flowmaster exhaust.

Review Date: 16th April, 2003

23rd Apr 2007, 14:46

Yes! At least someone else thinks this is a great car! After 27 years, still runs fantastic; only had to get the a/c fixed, besides oil changes for the past 27 years (and documentation to prove it!). Yes, the car uses a lot of fuel and has a fairly low top speed, but the 350 is meant for power. the 1980 version's transmission lasts forever, since it does not have overdrive, like the models from 1985-87. Beautiful car, fun to park, even more fun to complete a drivers test in, but I love it!

26th Apr 2007, 21:59

My grandfather just game me his old Olds and wow, do I love it, 1980 Olds Delta 88 royal. 92k original miles, interior is PERFECT, it's a tank man. Absolutely,Beautiful Car, Runs like a champ, had to change some part as with any old car with low miles, Sitting is the worst thing. Had to change some rusted out brake lines (which was easy by the way). And the a/c was giving me a little bit of trouble. A technician had told me a switch on the condenser are known to not allow the a/c pump clutch to engage. So it literally took a paperclip to fix it. Other than the minor things, I love this car!! I will have it for years!!

1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 350 rocket from North America

Summary:

Nice car, but today's parking spaces were a bit challenging

The water pump was replaced.

Timing chain broke.

Body mounts were bad.

No reverse gear.

General Comments:

Defiantly a highway car. Drove from Windsor to Toronto at 140 k.p.h (only because that as high as it shows) and it was like riding on air. Went at higher speeds no problem, but at what speed!- the needle stopped.

For a heavy car this car had great pick-up most notable when the tranny kicks down and the pedal to the metal as the way it should be.

Review Date: 10th May, 2002

1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 5.7 litre diesel from North America

Summary:

A excellent diesel engine from GM. A real pleasure to use everyday

General Comments:

I can't say enough about how well this diesel engine has performed.

A lot of people give the 350 diesel a bad name, but they are wrong about this one in every way.

The fuel economy and reliability is just great. I would buy another.

Review Date: 31st March, 2002

24th May 2002, 15:44

I own a 1981 Delta 88 with the 350 diesel and I love it dearly. I did rebuild it at 144,000 when it blown the head gasket. I installed ARP head bolts that are proven to 192,000 lbs. tension. Therefore that will never happen again! I think they perform great as well. I have already driven 24,000 miles in the last 2 years. Not one problem!!

4th Mar 2005, 21:05

The 350 Olds diesel was a great motor, but only if it was maintained well.

21st Jan 2008, 16:36

The Olds 350 Diesel was the first engine when I earned my driving license long long ago. Now, some 25 years later, I had the luck to find a Diesel Ninety-Eight here in Germany, and it's absolutely incredible how well this drivetrain does perform even today. Smooth, quiet, strong. Compare it to the Audi 3.0-litre of today, and you will feel the experience what a phantastic job Olds did some thirty years ago! I would never accept this Audi granted in respect to this plushy, roomy big great Olds.

17th Jun 2011, 23:45

Hello, haerzliche gruesse, do you take parts from the USA, or were you able to collect them in Europe? I am dutch, and have the chance to purchase a Delta 88 with a 2nd series 5.7 diesel...