Really sporty 2 door compact car
I bought the car with a lot of problems but I think everything can be fixed.
-valve pressers from the chamshafts needed to be adjusted.
- a lot of rust and dents in the bodywork
- some oil leaks which are fixable with red gasket paste
- oil pressure sensor was defective
- the brakes needed bleeding
- worn front tires
- some missing interior screws
- minor problem with the window mechanism on the driver side
- it desperately needed an oil change
- I later found out that the previous owner managed to break the speedometer cable so the km on the clock were not accurate... he said it actually was somewhere around 100000 not 65000.
The performance of the car is amazing compared to the Club or to any other Romanian car of the period.
After some minor tuning of the carburetor and to the engine timing, the car became smoother than when I bought it, and later after learning what bugs it still has and adapting my driving style to them the fun is bigger and bigger.
After these tuning improvements the fuel consumption went down by aproximately 1-2L/100km in the city and out of the city (highway) by about 0.5L/100km.
I found out that the car is not really made for short distances such as 3-5km thus the fuel consumption can be higher than normal, because this car having an aircooled engine never reaches it`s normal running temperature.
The engine begs to be revved... it really sounds and reacts really well around 3500-4000 rpm. This might be because the engine is a boxer engine, and because it's aircooled and needs high rpm to be cooled properly.
The brakes are amazing because unlike any other car the nose doesn't dive down; the whole car squats down thus the weight transfer isn't so big and it becomes difficult to lock the rear wheels. Usually all the wheels lock at the same time, thus getting a really short braking distance.
I recommend this car to anyone who likes to have fun driving and doesn't really mind the fact that in town its fuel consumption is comparable to a much bigger car. But when you consider that it's as fast as a bigger car: 1)It really doesn't matter. 2)The comfort is comparable to most contemporary cars and if the suspension is in good working order the handling is great also.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 26th June, 2007