1983 Opel Kadett Reviews

First year of ownership1984
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.0S Manual
Most recent distance320000 kilometres

Summary:

Love it..

Has only failed us once in these years, due to a broken exhaust. This event happened when we hit a rock on the road, and only realised the fault after we had driven it for 40 km and had to climb a steep hill...

General Comments:

Extremely reliable, taking in account the abuse it received from 4 different drivers in the family over the course of 30 years.

Engine block still original, did not change pistons, valves, camshafts etc. Even a 1.0S could clock 140kmh; quite good, given it has only 45hp.

Big greenhouse type windows make the journey enjoyable, and remove any claustrophobic fear like in many modern coupes.

Due to a lack of spares, I had to modify the top mounts.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2012

1983 Opel Kadett 1.3S 1.3 from Norway

Model year1983
Year of manufacture1983
First year of ownership1996

Summary:

One of the most reliable cars around

Not much really, even if this was an old car that I bought right after university for little money. Mostly wear items like brake pads, rusted exhaust system, battery, cracked head lamp. The only thing that I replaced that is not directly a wear item was the high beam lever that did not work. The car is very easy to work on, and most DIY's can work on this car. What finally made me sell this car was body rust, cosmetic things. The car is actually still running!

General Comments:

This car is unbelievable reliable, but very basic. The 75hp engine is barely enough for safe overtaking, with many passengers and load in the car, forget it. The ride is OK, but sound isolation is sparse. A pity Opel does not make quality cars like this anymore. This car cost me less than 100$ a year in service and repairs the 7 years I had this car. Believe it or not.

Review Date: 10th August, 2006

4th Sep 2006, 14:09

I had the same car (a Station Wagon) it was very good, comfortable and unstoppable: my dad gave it to me years ago with 198.000 km on it.

I used it till 300.000 no joke.

Too bad he had an accident and it was too expensive to repair.

Best car I ever had.