2002 Peugeot 406 Sport 2.2 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very pleased I bought this car, and still enjoy driving it

Indicator switch returned to left turn position after right hand corners. Very expensive replacement.

Clutch failure at 125000 km.

Intermittent exhaust system warning light from purchase. Repaired 2006, no problem since.

Radio volume not loud when on radio, OK for CDs.

Two cam belt replacements since purchase, apparently they go by time (4 yearly) rather than mileage.

General Comments:

Great looking car with discreet boot spoiler and interior trim in blue to match the fabric insert (with black leather) on the seats. Really comfortable seats (that's why I buy French cars).

Great car to drive and really safe in all conditions. Electronic stability control makes for secure drive on New Zealand roads, which have unreliable surfaces.

2.2L petrol engine very noisy, especially at start-up. Told by the dealer that this is normal.

Considering how many km we have driven in it, the interior is holding up well.

Review Date: 30th June, 2012

29th Nov 2013, 08:51

Very noisy, especially at start-up.

This is caused by the hydraulic steering pump (high pressurized fluid) until the fluid is warmed up.

I changed this oil at 90,000 KM with new hydraulic fluid, and the noise has been silenced since then.

2002 Peugeot 406 LX 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Lovely car to drive, build quality could be better

Leak in rear O/S footwell leading to flooding when it rains heavily, however have cleared out a lot of leaves and accumulated muck from windscreen scuttle, and cleared drain points under sills (tiny holes just in front/behind jacking points) and this appears to cleared the worst of it. There is water still coming in through door seal though.

Mysteriously vanishing engine oil.

General Comments:

Bought the big estate about 2 weeks ago as I needed something to carry drum kit, wife's cello and 2 year old daughter's stuff about. It has huge boot space which took a friends double bed with seats down no problem. Classy interior for the money.

Handles amazingly - better than my old Audi 80, and that was a saloon.

The engine is a bit underpowered for a car of this size, but has apparently a good reliability record and is fine on the motorway. It only struggles a bit on the steepest hills. Fuel economy pretty good.

Without doubt the most comfortable car I've ever owned.

However, annoying leak in rear passenger side door which seems to keep shifting about, and seems to have lost about 1/2 litre of oil in about 200 miles, with no obvious signs of leaking or burning.

Review Date: 24th November, 2010

2002 Peugeot 406 ST 2.0 HDI from Romania

Summary:

Good looking, fairly reliable car, well designed (interior and exterior) and decently engineered

Radiator started leaking after one year, luckily it was under warranty. The dealer replaced it with a copper one, at their own cost.

The windscreen wash pump does not work, I suspect it's a contact problem rather than the pump itself.

The board computer displays an obviously erroneous message at random ('engine coolant temperature too high'), but not very often, I did not feel the need to take the car to the dealer to fix this.

General Comments:

I bought this car new, I was impressed with its looks, I thought it had a convenient price and also had positive comments from friends who have previously owned Peugeot 406. I had no problems with 406 being an old model about to be discontinued by Peugeot, on the contrary I believe new models always bring problems and factory recalls, whereas older models have had the time to 'settle'.

My 406 holds to the road very well (stable and strong) and the 2.0HDI 110bhp engine gives good torque, most notable when overtaking. At motorway cruising speed around 160 km/h the engine is surprisingly quiet and feels at ease.

I believe the classic sedan looks of this car will still be attractive for a long time to come, as fashion comes and goes. Taking for example the design of the replacing model 407 (particularly the front air intake), I am quite happy I bought the 406 shortly before they discontinued the production.

I don't have any major technical problems with the car. That's lucky I guess, because I'm none too impressed with the local dealer (which provides a fairly good level of service, but at expensive hourly rates and obviously lacks a viable appointments system).

Review Date: 30th March, 2005