1987 Peugeot 505 Reviews

1987 Peugeot 505 Turbo Injection 2.2 from Norway

Distance when acquired195000 kilometres
Previous carPeugeot 505

Summary:

A sport sedan of the higher class

The electric windows work now and then.

The engine leaks oil from the bottom gasket.

General Comments:

The seats are very comfortable.

It is a fast car, but thirsty if you drive hard.

Expensive parts, but still easy to find most parts.

I am 1.90 cm, too tall for this car with a original sunroof.

I have a big trailer that I tow quite often, no problems.

Review Date: 4th October, 2008

3rd Dec 2008, 18:39

You should try to find yourself a manual 5 speed GTDT with the 2.5 turbodiesel if it's to get good gas mileage, because they were in my opinion one hell of an engine with good tall gearing. That's as long as you didn't race them too hard, for like all Peugeots of that era, their head gasket wasn't their strongest point.

1987 Peugeot 505 STi V6 2.8 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 2.8 Manual
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carSAAB 9-3

Summary:

A sporting yet practical sedan that I look forward to keeping on the road for many years to come.

Replaced the faulty knock-sensor.

Replaced leaking power steering hose.

Replaced leaking oil pan gasket.

Replaced leaking coolant hoses.

Replaced faulty window, fog-lamp & heated seat switches.

Control valve for the variable-assist steering sometimes malfunctions, resulting in very heavy steering in parking lots.

Clock failed and had to be repaired.

Many of the problems I described have been related to the age of the car (old, dried out hoses & gaskets).

General Comments:

Overall I have enjoyed this Peugeot very much during the one year I've owned it. It is powerful, attractive and handles beautifully. It has very powerful and effective ABS brakes.

The general design and arrangement of the interior is easy to understand, and most of the controls work well. The quality of some plastics is not as good as in many new cars, but everything feels durable and well screwed together. The A/C remained very cold even during the hottest summer months in Georgia.

Obtaining parts has not been a problem yet, though many parts would be difficult to obtain if I needed them immediately. As this is an orphaned European car in the U.S., any owner should make time allowances for parts, though generally I have found everything I needed through a few Peugeot specialists scattered around the U.S. Service has also not been a problem, as many European-car mechanics seem willing to tackle regular maintenance. I suppose some larger more involved jobs might require me to seek out a specialist, but so far I haven't needed one.

The engine pulls well and sounds nice, but is perhaps too thirsty for me to want to use it daily. I tend to average between 18 & 20 mpg, so sometimes I wish I had found a 4-cylinder model instead. Otherwise, I think it is comfortable, modern, safe and practical enough for daily use.

Review Date: 20th February, 2006

4th Oct 2008, 11:53

You replaced Your Saab with a Peugeot, Good.

Very good.

25th Oct 2008, 06:37

Hehe I replaced a Peugeot with a Saab. In my case at least, it was the proverbial downward spiral.

3rd Nov 2008, 23:15

Peugeot 505 STX, one way to describe it, best thing since sliced bread. Love it, would not replace it with anything else other than a Peugeot.. I wish the would be back in the North American market, it would be a blast.

Lucky to have landed on a STX with only 68K, yes 86K miles.. Garaged and taken care like a baby. To imagine my daughter would love driving it to a 2007 Lexus ES350 brings a tear to my eyes.

1987 Peugeot 505 GTi family estate 2.2 injection from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.2 injection Manual
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

Really good reliable family car with lots of room

Speedometer cable failed, but easily replaced.

Exhaust system very expensive for this particular model.

Clutch friction plate has just been replaced.

Electric door mirror switch stopped working, also gear change knob fell into pieces old age I suspect.

General Comments:

Very spacious seven seat estate car with lots of room in the boot, very comfortable probably more comfortable when fully loaded. Easy to fold down rear seating make a large loading area, ideal for larger items that are too heavy for the full length roof rack.

Although it is a long estate car it does drive very nicely and has relatively tight turning circle and therefore very easy to park.

Review Date: 15th December, 2005