1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Base 318 V8 from North America

Summary:

Best car I've ever owned

Minor inconveniences throughout ownership (i.e. knobs and emblems falling off, lights going out, etc.)

Transmission went out at 185000.

General Comments:

My 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury was the best car I ever owned. Bought it in September 2007, ran amazing, got 24 mpg highway, 20 mpg in town with the 2 barrel carb.

My only mistake with that car was putting the 4 barrel manifold and carb on it, broke a tooth off the distributor in the process and it never was the same again.

I had 2 choices as far as timing, either decent gas mileage and crap for power, or the balls off a bucking rodeo bull and terrible mileage. I was 17 at the time so I decided power was the way to go. Once that 4 barrel went in I was racing EVERYBODY. The carb I got for it was a little screwed up, I got about 6 mpg in town, but once it was out on the open highway I was getting 45-50 mpg.

Once the tranny went however, I couldn't afford to replace it due to the fact that I was a poor high school student. So instead of keeping it until I could save enough money, I decided to scrap it so I could buy a commuter car for school (1996 Oldsmobile Achieva, not a bad car but that's what this is about anyway).

The biggest mistake of my life was swapping out the 2 barrel for the 4 barrel. I miss that car, but I've found an '89 that I'm going to buy and restore to the beauty that was my first and favorite car of all time.

Review Date: 5th February, 2009

21st Feb 2010, 16:19

My name is Justin, I am 23 years old and I bought a 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury when I turned 22 as my "birthday present". It was a cheap 360 dollar vehicle that I negotiated from a private seller right here in good old North Dakota. His Grandma drove it the entire lifespan up to 99,000, then he sold it to me.

I still own this. It has had some issues as far as the alternator going out, battery had to be replaced, new distributor and spark plugs.

I hit a deer in September of 09, and it barely damaged the car considering I was going 70mph when I hit the deer. It has been repaired since, and it now has 110,613 miles on it, and just yesterday I drove 400 miles going to Fargo twice to see my girlfriend.

The drive is quite comfy and cozy. It can and will drive very fast. My top speed I have attained is 107mph, but it is not smart to drive this type of vehicle that fast, especially considering the age and miles. I would still like it to last a few more years.

Gas mileage is fluctuated based on how you drive this vehicle (as with any). I always fill up the tank (18 gallons), and in the winter I get about 150-200 per the 18 gallon tank... which equates to about 10 mpg!! Not the best, but it works with low cost otherwise...

I think that your comments about your experience with the Gran Fury is poor research...

Do not buy this car if it is overpriced. It is a "classic" but not entirely. They do drive well, and the V8 does have some darn good power, but in comparison to modern cars, it does not even come close.

Be sure to always get an oil change often, this does burn a lot of oil, and make sure you warm it up in the cold weather.

9th Jul 2010, 00:57

I bought my 1984 Gran Fury the year my daughter was born, 1993, and have had it ever since. I'm the third owner. Bought it with 69,000 on the clock, and now there's 162,000.

Properly tuned, it will get 17 mpg/city & 22 mpg highway. Original engine & transmission. Burns very little oil, still quiet as a church mouse, rides/drives as smooth as ever.

Most of the $$ I've spent has been cosmetic -- new paint, vinyl top, head liner; not much on mechanical parts until recently, and those mostly normal wear & tear-alternator, water pump, timing chain, fuel tank.

It's been very reliable over the years, and I can't see myself ever being without it. She's a sweet old ride, and they just don't make anything like it anymore.