1990 Plymouth Horizon from North America - Comments

24th Apr 2012, 13:43

The following is a joke, right?

"Very comfortable, I'm willing to say it's comparable to a modern Jaguar or even a Mercedes. I've ridden in a few, and somehow this $900 hatchback is comfier."

And you sold the car after driving it 2,000 miles because the tranny was going (at 89K)? What happened to the 500,000 you were talking about?

25th Apr 2012, 13:05

Apparently, Plymouth DID keep building them like this, which is why it is not around any more...

27th Apr 2012, 06:58

This level of hyperbole is common to some people. My dad, for instance, will brag that whatever his current 15-year-old POS happens to be is the greatest car ever until it pukes after 6 months, and then it's on to the next one. He puts $2,500 into a $200 car, brags about how the headlights are the brightest ever, the heater is the best ever, it's the best, the best, the best as it falls apart before your very eyes. Some folks just love a loser.

27th Apr 2012, 12:15

Having owned an incredible 1990 Dodge Omni non-turbo 2.2, I totally agree with this review's title. I bought my Omni from the original owner, who was my best friend, so I knew the car's history very well. My friend was a HORRIBLE car owner. He'd go 15,000 miles without changing the oil, and never bothered with checking anything. When I bought the car, it had 183,000 miles on it, and in that time it had had one brake job and one timing belt. It had also been in two serious accidents.

The car was awesomely fast. It would leave my Mazda RX-7 (a total piece of crap) in the dust easily. It was smooth, comfortable and surprisingly roomy. A friend of mine who owned a V-6 Grand Prix once "challenged" me. He came charging past me at about 100mph. I downshifted to 4th and blew past him like he was backing up. My speedometer had long since pegged on 100. Later when I asked how fast we were going he replied "Over 120. Mine was pegged too."

I drove the Omni to 240,000 miles. In that time I had done one more brake job, another timing belt replacement and replaced one heater hose. It used not a drop of oil and had never even had freon added to the A/C, which worked perfectly when I sold it. The CV joints had never been replaced (they were clattering big time in our Honda at only 50,000 miles).

The last time I saw my Omni, its new owner had driven it to 310,000 miles and STILL had not replaced the CV joints. I'd jump at the chance to find another Omni in good condition. These cars were some of the best ever made, even though they did look like an ugly box. The $800 I paid for mine was the best money I ever spent on any car.

Add another comment