1999 Plymouth Neon EX 2.2 DOHC from North America
Great value can be found in these cars
Sunroof failed to close properly.
Washer fluid pump stopped working.
Air leak around passenger-side window.
Rough idle - fixed by changing plugs and wires.
I owned my Neon for about 16 months and am now having a tough time finding a good replacement for it.
Some of the positives:
- My Neon 4dr 5spd had the DOHC engine with 150hp and was a lot of fun to drive.
- It had all the power I needed and got fantastic fuel economy, even well over the speed limit (seems rare in engines of this size).
- My Neon was tight (had no rattles) and was very comfortable.
- Two little 'smart' things about the car: 1) easiest oil change I've ever done due to intelligent oil filter location. 2) right-side gas fill (handier than you might guess).
- I got this car for a great price and it was well-spec'd.
My complaints are minor, but as follows:
- poor drink holders/lower console design.
- hardtop design is foolish. The outer seals around the windows take a lot of abuse in cold weather and ended up developing a fold in one spot, which then made it noisy on the highway and allowed slight leakage when washing the vehicle.
- The sunroof and other problems already mentioned.
My Neon was recently killed in an accident and I am now faced with replacing it. I am considering other vehicles b/c of the great ratings they get here, but don't understand why people are apparently so happy with cars that they have to spend a lot of money on. My Neon was cheap to buy, maintain, and drive unlike the Nissan and Honda I've had in the past.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 5th January, 2005