2005 Pontiac Bonneville Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

I hate it with a passion

I have a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE. This version is right under the GXP fully loaded.

The air ride the works well.

When the car was first bought by an older couple, at around 10000 miles the brakes went out, and the calipers were replaced. They went out about 29000 miles again, only this time I found out that the brake pads were shattering and falling out. I just about wrecked the car when it would not STOP.

Also, the master cylinder went out, and I also had a problem with the lower intake gasket when it started leaking antifreeze; had that fixed, and after the dealer fixed the leak, the gas mileage went down about 10 MPG; went from 32 to about 22 MPG, this is crazy.

Now the oil is stuck on 120 psi.

Had the tire pressure lie and say the tire pressure was low, but the tires were fine.

Speedometer wasn't fully reseting.

Transmission shifting in and out of lockup rapidly, and sometimes not even shifting at all into overdrive.

Water pump is going out with 36300 miles.

I fully maintain my car, and this is getting crazy. I paid too much for the car to start with, and the warranty just ran out at 36000. Now the problems are getting worse. I think GM should put a recall out on this car, because the way it's going now, and from what I read in here, I will never own another one.

General Comments:

I'm not big on GM cars and trucks, I just thought I would give them another shot, but it still shows how problems keep coming around with GM.

Review Date: 4th June, 2008

4th Oct 2008, 13:39

When you let the car sit, as I am sure the old couple did, the brake master cylinders always fail, and the cracked brakes and such are due also to it sitting for extended periods of time. This is not just attributed to one car.

27th Mar 2011, 20:54

Brake pads shattering? I really doubt it, seeing as they are metal backed ceramic/metallic material. Sounds like your mechanic is taking YOU for a ride.

14th Apr 2011, 00:05

The brake pads will fail in most cases if the car was sitting for a long period of time, this is a fact for all makes of automobiles.

2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 3.8 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Previous carPontiac Bonneville

Summary:

Fast and Furious

A/C in-op first year of ownership, dealer fixed, but had to go back 3 times till it finally worked right.

Steering issue as most of them have, replaced with the "new & improved" steering, seems a lot better.

Climate control panel worked loose, tightened up by dealer, working loose again.

Left front door strap replaced sounded like the door was going to fall off when opening, starting to do it again.

Back seat not as roomy as you would think for such a long car.

Passenger side front door panel cracked at the bottom, replaced at dealer.

General Comments:

Great overall car... I know the listed problems seem small, but when I am paying over $32K for a vehicle I expect things to be made a little bit better.

Love the look and aerodynamics. 17" chrome rims look awesome with the pearl white paint!

Stereo and XM radio are awesome, all controls lit up well and easy to read and reach. Great overall gas mileage.

Not as much room as you would think inside for such a big car, seats get hard after a long ride, even with all the crazy adjustments they have.

I am glad I got the best extended warranty that there is, I hear that these cars can develop electrical gremlins as they age, and this one has about every option except the V8.

Hope this one goes for 250,000 miles like my old 1989 did, still have it too, drive it when the weather is bad, that's why this one ('05) has the low mileage.

Review Date: 30th April, 2007

2nd May 2007, 13:34

Check if it has the plastic intake manifold that was installed after 1995. It won't make 250,000 if it has one of those. Your old '89 is of the indestructible earlier breed.

3rd May 2007, 19:15

The plastic manifold was changed to aluminum after 2002 or '03; unfortunaltely I have to deal with the "plastic time bomb" in my '95 park avenue. I'm the second owner and I looked at my manifold and it was replaced in 2003 with the quote "improved plastic manifold". I really don't think you can improve plastic and heat that much.