22nd Nov 2009, 20:27

I love the Fieros, the sunroof is easily removable and maybe you didn't see the special storage place under the hood?

Trunk space is small, and I have had trouble with the throttle position sensor and the headlight motors.

The car should also have a fifth gear. With six cylinders it would improve your mileage a great deal.

I disagree with the "death trap" theory, they are built pretty solid.

10th Mar 2010, 22:34

Comments One and Two are completely wrong, and it is those kind of misinformed individuals that kills this cars reputation.

I see a decent amount of Fieros cruising around. You have to keep in mind that it is over a 20 year old car now, people will just scrap them rather than pay an outrageous bill (outrageous because the shops don't want to work on them, and the truth is they are worlds simpler than today POS cars!)

Also I have to just LOL at comment 2, you ever seen the old VW Beetle crash test? Go to youtube and watch it come apart! The Fiero was top rated in its class back in the day, and it also met Swedish crash requirements, which are more stringent. It is a very solid car, it has a unique steel "space frame" that is completely solid, and has Enduraflex body panels. IE: No rusty body anymore and also is dent resistant.

I love mine!!!

4th Apr 2011, 18:39

People who bad mouth the Pontiac Fiero 2M6 are very misinformed.

First of all, the fire problems were with the 4 cylinder Fieros.

Secondly "built flimsy?" The Fiero space frame is one of the safest and sturdiest ever built for a car that size.

And lastly, if maintained these cars had no more problems than any other car, and they are definitely fun to drive. I have an 86, and it runs great and looks great. I have had no problems with it other than maintenance, which I am always careful to do when necessary. They are great cars in my opinion, and what value.. too bad they quit making them.

5th Mar 2012, 12:04

I agree with the positive comments on the Fiero. I have a 1986 SE 2M6, and it is a wonderful car. Have had no problems, and it's a great little sports car with plenty of power, even with the automatic transmission.

The amazing part is how cheap you can get a decent one, even though they have been increasing a bit price wise.

Anyway, I keep mine in beautiful condition (easy to do) and I just love it. I always get questions from people who see it and are not familiar with the Fiero, as they are now at least 24 years old. Pontiac made a mistake discontinuing them.

Also, if you buy one, get a pre-1988, because yes the '88s were the best ones in many respects, but parts and repairs for them, if you need them, are much more expensive.

30th Jun 2012, 18:06

These didn't handle very well, could catch fire, were designed hastily, the plastic body would break very easily (a simple blow out from a tire could chew up a bit of the car), and build quality was a mess.

That's why they're so rare these days.

1st Jul 2012, 18:47

But the "space frame" DID rust out.

I sold Fiero's for all the years they were made, and they were NOT the "great" cars so many of you say they were.

In fact the steering was terrible and took a lot of effort; the handling wasn't so great either.

I was young at the time, and did enjoy driving them (at least the 6 cylinder versions), but did not enjoy turning or parking them so very much.

Just when they were improving this aspect of the car, and had developed an electronic power steering system, GM decided to kill the car.

This is a shame, because the Fiero never reached its potential.

1st Jul 2012, 18:50

One more point - the VW Beetle was designed in the 1930's - safety was not at the forefront of its engineering. If it were, the fuel tank would not have been situated in front of the driver & passenger. Still, I would much rather own a mint vintage VW Beetle, than a Fiero any day (especially a Convertible).

1st Jul 2012, 19:14

From what I've read, the major problems were with early models, and were resolved over the design cycle.