1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 6.6 litre from North America

Summary:

This car is awesome

Engine rebuilt at 150,000 miles, and transmission rebuilt at 151,000 miles.

Driver's seat needs refurbishing.

General Comments:

This is my first car, bought in 1985. I still have it 25 years later. I guess that says it all. It needs restoration, but it is my daily driver, and yes it still turns heads. I probably will never sell it.

Review Date: 4th December, 2010

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans am 6.6L from North America

Summary:

People stare when they see and hear it

Broke transmission cable while stuck in deep snow.

General Comments:

Awesome styling with t-tops and shaker hood. The last muscle car. Seats were nice and comfy, but the same does not go for the rear passengers.

I would not want to sit in any seat besides the drivers.

Dashboard looks real slick with all the gauges.

The last remains of a real muscle car. 0-60 in 6 seconds and a top end of 140mph. This car could fly.

Never a spot of rust and handled incredible like new. I need it back again.

Review Date: 19th April, 2006

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Olds 403 from North America

Summary:

2nd Generation Trans Ams are HOT

I had to replace the temp sensor, because the temp gauge was not working, and the fan was not clicking on when the motor got hot. Cheap part from JC Whitney, easy to fix. Runs like a top now and all gages work. Also replaced drivers side door hinge pins, because of door sag. Was a little painful, but not too bad.

General Comments:

These 2nd Generation Trans Am's are FUN, easy to fix and find parts for and look REALLY cool. Nice mean look. I think the value of them will continue to rise.

As said before the door handles usually break after a while, but you can find them on the web and they are a snap to replace.

Nice classic muscle car with that cool 80's look and feel. But with the 70's heavy steel construction.

Everyone loves to see the car and they all either had one, or their friend did.

If you get one 25 years old, you can register it as a classic and insurance is cheap. You can only drive on Sundays and to car shows, but you may drive it other times to keep it in good working order, so the law seems pretty loose.

Review Date: 10th November, 2005

1979 Pontiac Firebird pontiac 301 from North America

Summary:

Enough torque to rip my 4 cylinder car to bits

I bought this car as a project to rebuild. When I purchased the car the only thing that had been done to it was:

Transmission rebuild a 110000 miles.

Granted the body has a bit more rust then I like and the interior is trashed, but 25 years as a daily driver will take its toll on anything.

General Comments:

Great car, unfortunately the severely underpowered 301 V8 lack performance, but more than makes up for it in reliability. At 157000 miles the engine will not smoke in the least. I love this car and can't wait until it is ready to bruise up the roads with a new Pontiac 455 engine bolted to a Muncie M22 transmission.

Review Date: 7th July, 2005

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 6.6L 403 Olds from North America

Summary:

Classic all around fun car.

Had to replace water pump.

Spun a main bearing, but didn't know until I voluntarily rebuilt the engine to make it go faster.

The handles to close the doors on the armrest will eventually break/tear poor design. Roll down window and pull the door shut, if you bought the car as a show piece.

General Comments:

Nice car very fun.

Steering and suspension is excellent, even after all those miles. Feels excellent like a sports car, very tight (reactive).

Decent pick up, before the rebuild I was able to keep up with a 4.0L Cherokee.

Should have been built with more Horse Power for such a large V8, only 190-200HP from factory, though this may have been intentionally under-rated.

Light rear-end susceptable to burnouts and "fish-tailing". If you don't know how to control such things you'll learn with this car.

Dashboard detailing pleasing to the eye. Overall dash setup nice.

Seats very comfortable, nice back angle.

The spot below the radio is useless anything put in there will come flying out under hard acceleration.

Review Date: 12th May, 2003

9th Mar 2005, 14:06

I'm glad to see someone else finally know the 403 was

Olds-built. From the factory it had about 185 horsepower (though Olds used a 200 HP version for their Toronado) it was capable of a lot more, but due to the strict emissions of the late '70s (and the soaring insurance rates) they had to limit it. A souped up 403 could probably get at least 250 horsepower (probably more)

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Oldsmobile 455 from North America

Summary:

A high performance bargain

The engine is starting to make a clicking sound only because I forgot to change the oil.

I had to fix a rip in the drivers seat.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever seen or driven.

It is so beautiful.

It handles wonderfully.

The interior is great it's so nice and comfortable.

It's faster than anything in my area and I can outrun anyone.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2002

9th Mar 2005, 14:13

I thought they did away with the 455 in '77. Olds did make a 455 but so did Pontiac, I thought Pontiac used there own. The 403 cubic inch (6.6 Liter) was Olds-built are you sure you don't that? It was the top engine choice from '77 though '79.

9th Mar 2005, 14:51

If this car has a 455 in it, it is not factory. 1976 was the last year for the 455 in the Firebird as oem.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Ccoupe modified 350-V8 HO from North America

Summary:

This car is FAST!!!

So far nothing has gone wrong with the car since I have had it.

General Comments:

This car is FAST!!! I have a highly modified 350-V8 in it. I can outrun any of the newer Firebirds, Camaros, and Stangs'. I can even out run most Vettes. Pontiac truly got the pony car right with the Firebird.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2001

1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 High Output from North America

Engine and trans replaced with one out of a GTO. My car is very modified and have owned it a year with no problems.

General Comments:

Awesome car, drop dead good looks, very fast after environmental gear was taken off.

Only problem is the ride can be likened to driving a tank.

Review Date: 24th September, 1999