1977 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe GT 305 ci Chevy from North America

Summary:

The real last muscle car

When I got the car it needed restoration. The original owner had overheated it and was sitting approx 10 years.

3 years later my friend and I started restoring it. Threw out the 305 (knocking badly) and dropped in a fresh 350, chromed the basics, redid everything fresh, in & out top to bottom. I spoke to one collector salesman and he said I should have kept the 305.

For some reason the Canada 77 LeMans Sport Coupe GT's came with the 305 instead of the 350, they also have the dash from a Grand Prix.

It's gorgeous and now it moves...

I haven't had any problems to speak of, though I don't take it out much.

General Comments:

I have not been able to find out just how many SC GT's were made in 1977 in Canada. I'm told by a Pontiac club in NC that I may be very surprised.

Could anyone HELP?

Review Date: 8th August, 2009

24th Dec 2009, 11:36

The 77 Lemans Sport Coupe came with a Pontiac 301- same block as a 350/400/455 -- this was a true boat anchor.

25th Dec 2009, 04:34

He did not say what 350. I took out my 74 350 with 190 HP and put in a 1970 350 with a 325 HP in my GM.

7th Jul 2010, 09:45

1977 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe also came with a 350. I bought one brand new with 350 in Canada. Fantastic car, great memories.

26th Sep 2010, 11:45

I bought mine on September 12, 1977 in Scranton, PA, right off the show room floor. Wish I kept it, don't see any around!

21st Dec 2010, 21:02

A 301 is not the same block as a 350 Pontiac or 326. It is a newer style, the heads, intake, and such do not cross over like the 326s, 350s and 389s. While they may not be that desirable from a performance stand point, they are far from boat anchors. They last a long time for a 70s engine in stock form. And yes, there are performance parts out there for 301 engines.

The 305 Chevy engine is another good engine that can reach mid 20s for mpg in these heavy 70s cars, when fitted with a over drive and a 2 barrel carb.

1977 Pontiac LeMans Can Am T/A 6.6 from North America

Summary:

Pontiac's swan song

General Comments:

The Pontiac Can Am is a beautiful car from a time when beautiful cars were scarce. The T/A 6.6 400 is powerful for the era, and the ride/handling is top drawer. I highly recommend this car and own 3 to prove it.

Review Date: 7th July, 2002

21st Sep 2004, 21:10

The TRUE 6.6 litre engine was the Oldsmobile 403cubic inch Pontiac used, not the Pontiac 400 (6.5 litre as it read on my 1973 Grand Am). I know that they left the 6.6 litre mark on the Trans Am after they went back to a 400 cubic inch, was the Can Ams engine a 400 or 403?

13th Jan 2005, 23:42

Depends on where you got the car. California and high-altitude Can Ams got the Oldsmobile 403 (about 42 of these made) and the rest were given the Pontiac 400s. Latest I've heard is that the 400 is more desirable as are rare options - unusual interior color, CB, sunroof, etc. I suppose the 400 is more desirable since it's a Pontiac engine in a Pontiac car.

2nd Mar 2006, 11:33

Could anyone tell me if the Can Am came thru the factory with a bench seat option?Thanks.

15th Mar 2006, 12:08

Wow 3??? Dude you rock lol :D. I really love the '73-'77 LeMans/Can Am/Grand Am/GTO, the best body design of that chassis in that era from GM. Love the dual tear drop side paneling :P! I really want one of these cars in the future, but they're very scarce, especially the cop cars, which I want the most!

~Ian.

30th Mar 2007, 11:32

Anyone know where I can get a 76-77 LeMans 4 door?

I'm in Concord, NC 28025.

I'm looking to create a clone of the Beaufort T Justice police car to chase my buddies Trans AM...

Justin.hadsock@earthlink.net.

4th Apr 2007, 09:43

Yes a bench seat was available in the Can Am.

2nd Oct 2007, 13:35

The lemans is a sweet car one of best made.

4th Oct 2007, 00:34

I wish that GM would revive the Colonnade body styles, I really like the Colonnade cars and I consider them to be a work of art design, the Can Am's are very rare cars and they deserve to get the recognition as the Trans Am's and the GTO's.

24th Oct 2007, 10:45

The 77 Can Am & LeMans Sport Coupe were AWESOME cars. I have one & is one of the most reliable Pontiacs I've ever owned. It is also one of the best handling. She corners flat at any speed & drives as comfortable as a big Bonney. A Pontiac 400 is KING.