1989 Pontiac Sunbird Reviews - Page 6 of 6

1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 OHC from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 OHC Manual
Most recent distance122000 kilometres
Previous carPontiac Civic

Summary:

A good first car with some benefits

My struts went at about 115,000 k's and I spent approximately $450 to repair them.

Had to put new rear springs in at the same as the struts.

Was leaking a very small amount of power steering fluid, but some stop leak fixed that.

General Comments:

The car works great so far. No problems with the engine whatsoever. It doesn't burn a bit of oil or leak any oil.

The 5-speed manual transmission is great and the short shifter makes it fun to work with.

Upgrades are available for this car. I have started with a K&N air filter and I plan some more. I also installed an 80 watt amplifier/equalizer in myself.

Review Date: 18th October, 2001

25th Feb 2003, 13:15

Instead of running a K & N Filter, try running a Reactive open filter, with a breather. I have run both filters on my mine, and the Reactive filter is ten times better. The conversion is easy. Just remove the whole air filter box.

18th Apr 2003, 02:23

Hey, I was wondering where you picked up your short shifter from? I have been looking everywhere and cannot find many performance mods for this car at all.

Thanks,

Brenden B. vlsdcs@nfdc.net.

1989 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2.0 SOHC from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 2.0 SOHC Automatic

Summary:

No complaints; you get out what you put in.

Remember, the car is 11 years old now so things are expected to break.

I've replaced the timing belt, first when I bought the car, and again at 120K miles.

I replaced the entire exhaust system at 135K.

The transmission pan gasket & oil pan gasket were replaced (but only after running over an unfinished concrete lamppost hidden by snow caused the originals to crack and leak).

The water pump, alternator, starter & radiator have all been replaced, as have all hoses and belts.

A full valve job was performed at 137K, along with a new head gasket.

General Comments:

Forget all those people who say taking a chance on a used Sunbird is asking for trouble. If you don't want any problems, go out and buy a brand new car. Don't mind doing a little work? Go buy used with the expectation of putting at least $500 into the car to make it dependable, and learn to know the warning signs and replace parts before they break.

When I bought my car I replaced all the parts that are supposed to start going bad at or around 70K miles, and I kept on top if it over the years. As a result, this car has never left me stranded (it scared me once or twice - but that was just to remind me to fix the problem).

I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for affordable, stylish & reliable transportation.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2001