1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana- Extended from North America

Summary:

The BEST minivan on the market!!

Have had to change the intake manifold (common with this vehicle).

Changed the water pump at 103,000.

Traction control is acting up, but does not affect driving or handling of vehicle, only when rolling from a parked position do I need to give it a little gas to kick off the traction control.

Volume control on radio screwed up, must use steering wheel control. Also cannot read radio screen from time to time, especially when hot.

The marker lights getting constant condesation and blowing out bulbs!

General Comments:

The best minivan out there!! Have been on numerous cross-country trips with this van and was so comfortable.

Has air level/ air ride feature which makes it ride like a Cadillac.

Built in air pump and hose accessory makes filling tires/ balls/ beach toys really easy and conveinent!

Take care of the van and it will happily take car of you and your family!

Review Date: 26th June, 2007

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan from North America

Summary:

I love it!

The engine was replaced at 58,000 miles, but it was covered under the warranty.

General Comments:

This has been an excellent van. We service it regularly and have all required maintenance done on time. We have had no major problems with it at all. It drives and handles better than some of the 2007 s we have test driven. This is the third Tran Sport we have owned and have been extremely happy with them all.

Review Date: 15th April, 2007

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.4L from North America

Summary:

My first vehicle and very pleased with it

I LOVE my van let me say that and I wouldn't trade it for any other. I have a 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport and well I have seen a lot of the comments on here and before I bought my van it was my aunts and then my grandmas. They never had any serious problems with what I have read. The only problems it has is that the third row windows are broke, but that's not a huge issue, my gas gauge and my power sliding door have recently been fixed and so that's taken care of and I Have no other problems with it, but I am a little scared now that those problems may occur someday. I just find it hard to believe all the things I have read and I think to myself, nothing like that has ever gone wrong with my van. I wish I could say I would own another, but I couldn't because nothing will ever feel like home the way mine dose. After this van I plan on getting a SV6. Hopefully that will be quite a while though.

General Comments:

I love all the space I have and its great for when the family and I go out for dinner. I'm also glad its al lone color and I don't have that black trim. My van is all Red.

Sometimes my passengers complain about having to climb over my second row seats to get back to the two in the third row. I don't have to climb back there so it dosen't, bother me. :)

Review Date: 2nd November, 2006

3rd Nov 2006, 15:07

The two outboard seats in the middle row should have a lever on the bottom outward side that allows the seat to flip forward for access to the third row. That way people won't have to jump over seats to get to the third row.

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana EXT 3.4 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

It was great while it lasted!

Leaking anti-freeze for about 2yrs, slight exhaust donut gasket leak from front bank, steering shutter when turning, LED display on radio out for 2 yrs, sound goes up real loud if you use the radio controls, but not if you use the ones on the steering wheel, very hard to steer at low speeds, and now the ever present knocking noise from the upper half of the engine, 5 sets of front wheel bearings, the check engine light, ABS and the traction control lights have been on for about 2 yrs. I think that about covers it.

General Comments:

Generally our Montana has been a good vehicle, it does have 219,000 miles on it, and my mechanic wanted to put intake and head gaskets on it 2 years ago at about 198,000 miles. I have drove the crap out of this van for 5 nearly trouble free years. I guess I am lucky compared to some of the posts I have read on this site. Believe it or not the original spark-plugs and wires are still on and I was getting 22.9 mpg! Basically now it is worthless to try and trade because of the miles and the very dist-inked knock it now has. Looking into a junkyard engine, for about $650.00 with 62,000 miles on it from a wrecked 2004. Will have to replace the rack and pinion also as it is shot too. $65.00 used. I do most of my own work... but not this time.

Review Date: 13th December, 2005