1999 Proton Satria GTi 1.8 from Qatar

Summary:

Over Rated

First My rear lights stopped working, secondly the a/c radiator fan stopped working and then the radiator cooling fan stopped working thus overheating the engine... Now one fog light is not working..

The worst Thing is like every other proton the interiors are squeaking as if they are going to fall apart...

General Comments:

1. The car is overrated both in price and quality

2. Bad and over priced service.. from the dealers

3. Doesn't have quality parts...

Review Date: 9th April, 2004

9th Apr 2004, 14:34

These are not overrated in the UK, because everybody knows they're crap!!!

27th Oct 2004, 14:42

The only good thing on the satire gti is the handling. Other than that it's a waste of time, too slow with overrated looks. I totally agree with the previous comment made.

2002 Proton Satria GTi 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Overpriced and overrated non performance car

The delivery of the car from the Proton dealer was terrible.

It took 4/5 weeks to get the car after many promises the car would arrive "tomorrow."

After 6,000 kilometers a spark plug blew out of the engine into the bonnet causing the head gasket to blow.

The engine had to be rebuilt.

The engine is noisy and on the initial delivery the CV joints had to be replaced.

Terrible cold starts - the car will not accelerate for at least 5 minutes.

General Comments:

The handling of this car is good.

The Recaro seats are great.

The interior is substandard and looks very poor for what the car costs.

The GTi has been marketed as a "performance car" but it certainly is not.

If you were going to purchase a Proton the XLS represents better value for money than the GTi.

The GTi is an overpriced, under performed vehicle not worth the amount they are sold for.

Proton's lack of service is as overrated as the GTi.

Review Date: 5th October, 2003

11th Jul 2004, 11:39

This particualr car was either made last thing on a friday afternoon or owned and driven by a complete cretin!.You Decide!

27th May 2007, 08:24

Pretty sure you shouldn't be expecting that much from acceleration on a cold start. And why would you want to, you can do serious damage to the engine, perhaps why the engine had to be rebuilt, unless it was an absolute lemon.

2000 Proton Satria GTi 1.8 from Malaysia

Summary:

A fine handling Malaysian with well designed styling

The car is not as cheap to maintain as I expected.

General Comments:

The performance is acceptable, but handling is absolutely superb (must have been that Lotus thing).

Good price for that kind of car too.

Review Date: 30th January, 2002

1995 Proton Satria 1.3 from Malaysia

Summary:

A bargain in my country

Leaking steering fluid, but was fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

Reasonably good car and surprisingly, pretty stable.

Engines sounds kind of rough, but weirdly it sounds smooth early in the morning before the engine has time to warm up.

Review Date: 26th July, 2001

21st Sep 2001, 06:49

I have owned my Satria 1.6GLi since 1998 and it has been a very reliable car but the rear boot is constantly leaking whenever it rains or when I have it washed. 3 trips to the service dealer later and it still leaks to the point where my spare tyre compartment is now used for a fish tank. And even with power steering, the steering feels quite heavy compared to the Wira's. Maintenance wise, is very low and it can go about 340km on a full tank of fuel. Can anyone get better mileage?

2000 Proton Satria GTi 1.8 supercharged from UK and Ireland

Back noise and aircon noise.

When I first got the car, the alignment was not fixed.

General Comments:

Generally the car is great. The cornering and the handling is great. I never had a car that is so stable whilst at high speed. It is the best car that came out from Proton.

Review Date: 6th August, 2000

4th Dec 2000, 15:39

I am from Malaysia and I was an ardent Civic fan until I saw the GTi. I think I did swear that I would not be caught dead in a Proton until I test drove the GTi.. the performance is so-so but this is forgotten once you turn the corners at pin point accuracy at about 140kms an hour and with minimal body roll.

Then I had the problem of dealing with all the other Proton owners trying to race, tailgate and even trying to talk to me about the GTi at lights.

I went on to transplant into the GTi a Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 1.8 turbo engine. Nothing sounds better when you are picking up and the roar of the Kakimoto exhaust system coupled with the turbo wheeee type of sound is music to my ears..... the blow off valve gives me a small rush everytime I change gear...

My next aim.. instrumentation and possibly an Evo 4 powerplant...

Overall.. I'll keep this car for ages... it attracts more attention than a souped up Vtec or CR-V in Kuala Lumpur.