This was my first car, which was to be followed by another "5" three years later, a TR. Both 5-doors BTW. The latter one I still own and somehow this proved/proves to be a much better car than the TL described here... Reviewed by yours truly as well.
I don't have the TL's exact records anymore, but this I remember:
* Outer sills rusted badly; were replaced shortly before I got the car at a relatively huge sum of money, but even then were "through" once again within two years.
* Engine and carb needed frequent tuning, tell-tale was a gradually declining top-speed of sometimes not more than 125 kph in fifth and random stalling - preferably at junctions...
* Frequent starting-trouble in damp conditions. In hindsight it could have been that the starter-motor was a lemon. Not quite sure.
* First gear's tendency to drop out of engagement eventually turned so bad, that driving away from a steep incline was no longer possible. I had to keep it pushed in first while moving off at all times, and was just one hand short to use the handbrake! Lucky to live in a flat country... Foreign trips were plain impossible because of this and indeed were never made by me with this car.
* Bonnet showed severe underside-rust, but then the whole car gradually acquired a brownish hue. From '90 onward, better rustproofing was used at Renault.