2003 Renault Clio Sport RS 2.0L petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fun, fast, economical, stylish - but not entirely reliable!

Less than 1 month after purchase - started to have an issue where a warning light would come on and there was a lack of power. They checked for idle fault, connected diagnostic clip and scanned for faults, pedal potentiometer circuit clean connection and road test - $151.88NZD.

3 years after purchase - radiator started leaking profusely. I was able to drive the car around for another day or two by checking the water and topping it up each time before driving it. The radiator was replaced with a used one, which was refurbed and pressure tested. $585.72NZD.

Eventually it struggled to start on cold mornings.

General Comments:

As soon as I got this car, I had the wheel alignment done, engine oil & filter etc as I wanted to really look after it.

The car was a massive amount of fun to drive. Small, light and powerful, you could take on anyone and best them almost every time. Even Turbo Subaru Impreza WRX's could not best me on the race up the motorway on ramp.

Petrol consumption is very impressive. On a holiday to Rotorua (300km or so) I averaged 5.9L/100km. Around town and in traffic, day-to-day driving I was averaging 7.2L/100km. Downhill in fifth gear the car's computer's readout would often output 0.0L/100km - it uses no petrol on the engine overrun!

Parking was always easy due to the small size. It could carry a generous amount of cargo. 3-point turns are a pain in the bottom though, and I am unsure if I was ever able to perform a U-turn on anything smaller than a 4-lane road.

The stereo was good, the seats were very comfortable and the side supports in the seats were great. I didn't think it was noisy in the cabin at all, my Nissan Bluebird 1994 is much noisier inside. The climate control works well, and the Renault's cabin is a nice place to be. There is no centre console for storing things, and there aren't many cubbyholes inside the car.

In my opinion, this car was not the most reliable, and every time it did stuff up or hiccup, it was costly - especially compared to Japanese cars. When it was working perfectly, it was the greatest car I've ever owned by miles.

I would buy another one in the future when I felt I had the time, money and resource to properly manage such a car. For a 'normal' person like this, this would be like a second car. It is not sufficiently bulletproof to be a household's only car.

Review Date: 7th September, 2011

2003 Renault Clio dCi 1.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice car, but expensive on parts

My driver's side head light keeps going out. I have changed a blown bulb, and the new one stays on for about 4 miles before turning off again. When I take bulb out, it turns on again. I have cleaned connections, but there is also a noise, as though something is turning power onto the light before the bulb lights up. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

General Comments:

Really like this car, as it does around 57 mpg. The only thing I don't like is all the rattles, including the sunroof.

Review Date: 31st December, 2010

2003 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 petrol 16v from UK and Ireland

Persistent electrical problems, car cuts out when coming to a stop etc, goes into limp mode.

The black metal box behind the engine, with small cables running to several sensors on top on the engine is your problem. Grip the top of this box and pull the cover off vertically upwards. The cable loom comes into it from the left. Check that it is not rubbing on the metal housing. Wrap some insulating tape around the cable loom and suggest finding some rubber to wrap around as well. This fixed my problem.

General Comments:

Otherwise a good little car.

Review Date: 8th January, 2010