1972 Rover - Austin P6 2000TC from UK and Ireland - Comments

28th Jun 2006, 10:30

Emhmm. I remember my dad's P6 2000 as a stylish comfortable car with a bit of class. But I also remember that it slowly, but surely disintegrated over a period as short of 10 years. It was a 1972 car, and was completely dead by 82.

Now I am 40 something, and I am strongly considering a P6 3500 as a hobby car (that's if I can't find a 72/76 Ford Granada 3.0L - and at this stage there seems to be a lot more old Rovers around than old Fords.)

Q. How come my old-mans car fell apart in 10 years, yet there are still 35 year old models hanging around out there?

19th Aug 2008, 22:52

A good car 30 odd years ago, but looking very dated now especially the Series 1 models.

I have owned many P6s over the years of all variants, but would not go back. I think they have been relegated to the flat cap brigade status as most people I see driving them are well over 50

I now own a mint SD1 VDP EFi; ageless looks, speed, economy and hatchback practicality. Yes I know they can rust badly and have a few electrical niggles, but they're easy sorted if kept on top of.

In my opinion the SD1 is the last of the real Rovers ie Mr Baches babies, and has quite a few years before it ever reaches the flat cap status, if ever it does that is?

19th May 2009, 21:52

I don't think the SD1 will ever be a flat-cap car. The drop dead gorgeous styling and that thumping V8 means it will always have a much broader appeal, even being used as a serious contender on track days. I must have owned about 8 SD1s over the years.

By the way, I'm 35, don't wear a flat cap and have just bought a '72 P6 3500s to play with. I just like them. Tax exempt, thumping great V8 engine, big squashy seats, what's not to like?

1st Nov 2009, 07:11

Had a mint 2.2 TC when I was a student in the late '90's and absolutely loved it. Had been bought and restored by my father as a project. Still have very fond memories of the car, and I am a very long way from buying my first flat cap.

Add another comment