2011 Scion xB Review

2011 Scion xB from North America

Year of manufacture2011
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

I would not buy another one

The belts, the exterior.

General Comments:

The car handles terrible in snow.

There are a lot of flimsy plastic parts that easily break.

The lower front bumper grille has two separate pieces that fall out if you hit a pot hole (look at other xBs on the road, and you will notice this).

The hatch release breaks easily if a minimum amount of pressure is applied (another thing you will see on other xBs out on the road, although less frequent than the lower grille pieces).

The plastic pieces on bumper front and back will crack and break easy if it is cold and you run into any snow on the road, because it sits so low.

There is no belt tensioner, you have to tighten the belt by hand. Because there is no belt tensioner, the belt loosens and you need to re-tighten every so often.

In order to change the lower belt, you need to remove a plastic cover on the underside and remove the passenger front tire in order to get to the belt. I have not been impressed with this vehicle at all.

Review Date: 27th May, 2011

28th May 2011, 12:33

Having test driven a Scion myself, I found the cars poorly built, noisy and uncomfortable. I bought a Ford, and have not been disappointed.

29th May 2011, 22:29

These cars may be safer then older Yoyos but they're certainly not built as well, and I doubt de-contending is a safety feature.

26th Dec 2012, 12:51

I had to smile as that fits my car totally -- missing piece in front bumper and back bumper had a crack. In addition, as it is so light and made of so many plastic parts, it is terrible in the snow with all season tires, and a 50 pound bag in the back -- and I mean terrible -- but I have 107,000 on mine with no repairs, so I just don't drive it in the snow.

28th May 2013, 18:25

With all due respect, I live in Canada and I quite often see our US neighbors complaining about a particular vehicle "not being good in snow". I'd just like to somehow correct this expression. It's not a particular vehicle that's not being good in snow, it's the tires equipping the named vehicle that make it drive well or not in snow/icing conditions.

Here in Canada, even while driving only in the city, there is no way an all season tire will make a car feel safe in winter conditions. In fact, an all season tire badge is only a big lie. Those tires are strictly three season tires, unless during the winter season in your area, guys, the temperature never goes below 40's. A so called all season tire will never have even half the grip of a real winter tire in snow, and will be useless on ice. I can tell that even an expensive winter tire doesn't always feel perfectly safe in snow, slush or ice. Can't even imagine what an all season tire would feel like in similar conditions.

Average review marks: 7.3 / 10, based on 1 review