Bought a Skoda Fabia Comfort in 2001 as we fell in love with it. Since then, it's been back to the garage an inordinate amount of times for such a young car, and all for different things.
Things that have gone wrong:
1) Within the first year, radiator needed replacing.
2) Different lights seem to come up on the display every couple of months necessitating a visit to the dealer every time. Sometimes, they have just said it's a very sensitive computer and there's nothing wrong. It's still very worrying for the driver.
3) A few weeks ago, the engine light came on and something to do with the exhaust needed changing. It was done and covered by the warranty. Now, the light is back on again and I have to take it back - yet more wasted time and time off work as they are not open on Sundays.
4) Rear windscreen wash - no water comes out. It blocked last year, they cleared it. Blocked again.
5) Front passenger window control stopped working. Can only put window down, not up now.
6) Excessive trembling of the engine when car is stopped, even if not on a hill - feels like the car's going to stall. Yet engine oil levels etc are fine - they checked it all out for me a few weeks ago.
7) Both front and back wipers make a "creaky" sound.
The dealership I go to is generally friendly, but, e.g., now I have to wait a few days before taking the car in - I had to book an appointment. In the meantime, they assure me the car is safe to drive (with engine light on). The manual is far more cautious.
We're quite upset as we're otherwise fond of the car. Next time though, before buying a car, I will trawl the net to read driver reviews on sites like this one. I doubt it will be a Skoda.