1997 Skoda Felicia 1.3 LXi from Netherlands

Summary:

Great build quality, bad engine

After a week the first problem appeared: the battery. This was normal maintenance.

1500km later followed a new thing: the valves are making a noise; so had to adjust them.

750km later it was leaking oil. A new seal needed to be fitted.

And at last the spark plug broke and fell in the cylinder.

General Comments:

The build quality of the car itself and looks are great. It's uncomfortable, not economical, and has a bad engine. I would go for the 1.6 VW engine if I could choose again.

Review Date: 30th December, 2012

1997 Skoda Felicia GLXI 1.3 MPI from Portugal

Summary:

Great car for few Euros

Nothing.

General Comments:

My VW Golf II made the car change very difficult, because I will go to the end of the world with it and had no problems.

I bought every car I owned, used and cheap.

I driven my Felicia for 12000 kms; very reliable, of course it is not a race car, it flies low but I don't mind.

My Skoda Felicia was very cheap; 1500 €, and I never had to spend a single euro in repairs in the last year. Just usual maintenance (oil, filters).

Review Date: 13th March, 2010

1997 Skoda Felicia GLXi 1.6i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic value for money

New front offside shock absorber for last M.O.T.

Otherwise only consumables - tyres, exhaust etc.

General Comments:

I bought this car in September 2006 for the princely sum of 320 pounds. It had a years M.O.T. and 3 months left on the road tax.

It was bought as a second car mainly for use back and forward to work, so something "cheap and cheerful" was the order of the day.

This Felicia is a diamond silver 1.6 GLXi with alloy wheels. I don't know if the alloys came as original equipment on this model or if they were an optional extra. In any case they look good.

In the cabin there is a stereo radio / cassette and a front drivers airbag. The seats are finished in a patterned velour type cloth which blends well with the rest of the interior. The glove compartment is easy to open and of an adequate size. There are cup holders both front and rear and ample storage areas at the foot of the doors. The car does not have power steering, which is a pity.

I seldom drive this car fast, tending to drive it with economy more in mind. I have however seen indicated speeds of 95 m.p.h. on one or two occasions. The 1.6 engine does allow for reasonably brisk acceleration through the gears as well. It is a very economical car and regularly returns 40 m.p.g. if driven steadily. I think this is excellent for a ten year old 1600 with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock.

I am now in my fourteenth month of ownership and have covered approx. 10,000 miles in that time. Never once has the car let me down. It went through its M.O.T. last month for less than 200 pounds, and a new shock absorber and a ball joint for the suspension were the only parts required.

Considering the purchase price for the Felicia, the fact that it has never let me down, how economical it is and the minimal running costs, I doubt if I have owned a car that represented better value for money.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2007

5th Jan 2008, 01:21

In August 1997 I bought a Chili-red Skoda 1600cc Felicia GXLi Estate, to replace my Favorit 1300 Estate.

It was the best move I ever did... It has given me great service and a lasting respect for Skoda cars; however the successor, the Fabia mk.1 was in my opinion not as good. It was too small to do the job of an estate so I waited to see what would come next. Skoda Roomster is a 'non starter' for me. I could not live with that appearance, and the forthcoming Skoda Fabia mk2 Estate looks the part, gets good reports etc., but I am still thinking my Felicia 1600 will take a lot of beating. It's been a part of my life for over ten years.