1959 Studebaker Lark 6 Deluxe 6 cylinder L-head from North America

Summary:

Not fast, definitely not sporty, but a truly memorable first car. I would like to find another one

Fuel pump failed.

Window handle on the driver's door broke off, and I stupidly used vise-grips to roll the window up and down, which prevented the replacement handle from working when I finally found one.

General Comments:

My first car, bought for $375. Four door sedan with three on the tree stick shift. Had a radio and heater in it, but no other options.

This thing was built like a little tank. No power steering meant you got a workout every time you drove it. I drove it through my last two years of high school. It was definitely the oldest car in the parking lot, but I didn't care, I thought it was way cooler than all the Pintos, Vegas and Datsuns that everybody else drove. Even though it was not that old (15 years) when I got it, I never saw another one on the road in all the time I owned it.

I was determined to get a Studebaker after my first choice of car (a bullet nose 1950 Commander for $300), sitting in the back row of a dealer's lot, got sold to someone else after the dirtball dealer said he would sell it to me.

Review Date: 27th August, 2004

26th Feb 2010, 14:12

The Studebaker Lark is just what name says, it's a lark. I had one too many years ago and loved it. Now I have another, but no funds to fix it up. I wanted to get back that cool feeling you just never find these days.

I guess it will be a cool hobby for someone else.

1962 Studebaker Lark 6 S 2.8 167 cid from Israel

Summary:

Astonishing

During this 14 years of owning I replaced :

1) Three times the engine head.

2) Two times a major overhaul (inc' everything).

3) Alternator - replaced the common dynamo.

General Comments:

One of the greatest and reliable car ever made in USA.

Those Lark's were the last gasp of Studebaker.

It's simple car that still can be used daily and manage well on highways with a safe speed of 110 km/h.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2003