2008 Subaru Impreza Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2008 Subaru Impreza Sport 2.5i 2.5L H4 Boxer from North America

Year of manufacture2008
Engine and transmission 2.5L H4 Boxer Automatic
Previous carMazda 3

Summary:

Amazing vehicle, a must drive

Squeaky cargo cover at 1000km.

Squeaky dashboard at 1500km.

Poor rear wiper (stock).

Squeaky brakes - still doing it.

Sub-par paint.

Horrible stereo system.

General Comments:

One word to describe this car is amazing. Everything about this car will surprise you.

The looks of the car makes it somewhat generic, yet still stands out from the pack. Am looking into getting the STI hood and spoiler to give it a unique look for a N/A Impreza. People either hate or love the look of the new Impreza. I for one love the look.

The steering is very responsive and tight at the same time. Acceleration is pretty good considering this car has 171hp. Although not as fast as the WRX, it is very practical. Stock tires are not very good in the snow, but it is drivable if you are careful.

If you are buying this car, get 3M protection on as much of the car as you can if you live in an area with a lot of stones (Calgary is known for it). The paint chips very easy.

Interior is very nice. Cheap plastic in some areas and leather and fabric in others, a perfect combination. Leather stitching on the wheel was coming apart, but the dealer fixed it when I requested it.

Stock stereo is very weak. Changed the head unit in mine and now I'm quite satisfied. The adapter to make the steering wheel controls with aftermarket radios is very expensive ($250).

Dealers are fairly expensive for simple things, but they get the job done right the majority of the time. I have a squeak in my back right brake and they said they can't find it no matter what they did. I can replicate the issue within 10 seconds. They inspected the brakes and wheels and found nothing. Nobody knows why, quite frustrating for a new vehicle. Make sure they don't charge you for windshield washer though!

All in all, this is a wonderful vehicle and I can't wait to get a STI in the future. Will be with Subaru the rest of my life now, I'm hooked!

Review Date: 11th November, 2009

12th Nov 2009, 08:02

What "amazes" me is how you consider a car with all of these issues to be an amazing car. Every gripe you have listed would take away from the "amazing" factor for me.

What constitutes an average car for you? Blowing the engine on the way out of the dealer? We really have become so numb to the fact that cars are so poorly engineered that we are so easily swayed to believe a car with just a short list of shortcomings is an amazing car. For $20K+, shouldn't you expect a little more?

10th Jan 2010, 18:39

I don't think anything he's listed takes the "amazing" factor away from a car, if you want a car that doesn't have any "fault" but does nothing more than "moving forward", get a Toyota.

21st Apr 2010, 01:32

How can you consider those faults minor? I would sue the dealer for lemon law with that kind of list of issues! And I drive a Toyota, and it moves forward really well thank you very much!

16th Oct 2010, 22:15

I've a 2008 model of the same car. Same issues as described in this review as well, minus the squeaking rear brake. To be honest, I genuinely hate this car. Just recently, the driver's sun visor broke and kept flipping down while I drove. The dealer fixed it, and then had the gall to demand a 10 on their service survey.

These are pure rubbish. I should have bought a Ford, and once this one is paid off, that's exactly what I intend to do.

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i standard subaru boxter from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission standard subaru boxter Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

An affordable car with great pep and safety features not found in its class

As of right now there are a couple of minor issues with the car. The first is not the car's fault, rather just an accessory. The trunk privacy guard (because it's a hatch) makes a horrible rattling sound when driving on the highway or going over bumps. I spoke to my dealer and they said they'll take a look at it when I take my car in for the 3000 mile check up.

The next issue is that the center console feels a little cheap. It wobbles when you push on it, but otherwise is OK.

Besides that (with the whopping 1200 miles I put on) everything is great!

General Comments:

The redesign of the Impreza line for 2008 has people going one of two ways. Either they hate it, scream about the "lack of aggressiveness" and "Hyundai looks" or think it's pretty spiffy. I fall into the second category.

While I don't have a WRX or STI model, my 2.5i has plenty of power to do what I need to do. You can really feel the difference of AWD, a feature not found on other cars in this price range that I test drove.

The interior is quite nice looking, and is set up in a very user friendly way. Subaru doesn't include an AUX jack for your mp3 player standard (which is shocking this day in age) so make sure to get this if you don't opt for the premium package.

Overall I'm very pleased with the handling, looks, power, interior, and will most certainly put Subaru as a first choice for any future cars I buy.

Review Date: 26th July, 2008

4th Jun 2010, 12:30

I also have a 2008 Subaru Impreza, and maybe it's a difference between radio options, but my aux jack is located in the center console. There's also a aux button on the radio itself. Maybe it's a difference between the radio options, but they were offered that year.

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 2.5i Automatic
Previous carFord Windstar

Summary:

The 2008 is a dream car.

Some interior plastics came scratched. Dealer replaced them.

General Comments:

This car was built in 2007 but is actually an 08, completely redesigned. It's awesome. Some people complain it's overpriced or ugly. It's neither. Believe me it's much better looking in person than in a picture and it drives like it was built around the driver, handling is great although acceleration is a tad sluggish, but not much. Interior resembles the Tribeca. I like it. The only complaint would be the average gas mileage. This car is compared to a Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. You can't compare them. This is a much better car with standard AWD. It feels heavier on the ground so you don't feel like you're driving a toy. It's also a bit larger. It feels in size somewhere between a Civic and an Accord although I'm 6"4 and I have more space in this Impreza than in almost any other car I test drove except for the Nissan Altima.

Review Date: 12th September, 2007

1st Oct 2007, 01:38

What about the driver`s right leg&foot space?

In the previous model you had to make your right foot angeled to the right to get good driving position (I talk about Left Handel Car,like here in Egypt)!..Please tell us.

Impreza is a legendary car, and I think the new 2008 shape is very nice, it has the spirit of Subaru in modern uniform, and different than others, with Subaru stability, reliability, and amusing driving.