2007 Subaru Legacy BL 2.0r from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent beautiful motor, A1

Got the car cheap with the dual mass flywheel needing replacing with a single mass flywheel; still hasn't given in, and will not be an expensive fix.

As of now, nothing has gone wrong, touch wood.

General Comments:

The car is thirsty compared to my previous 2007 Civic. The AWD makes sure you don't lose grip in the dry or wet.

Beautiful looking car, plenty of space inside. The boot could be bigger, was looking at a Mazda 6, but this car caught my eye straight away, and there are not many of them about.

Review Date: 26th June, 2011

15th Feb 2013, 09:39

A lot of cars with dual mass flywheels seem to be having trouble, and that's from a lot of manufacturers. Most replace with a single mass flywheel. The Legacy (Liberty) will use more petrol than the Civic because of extra weight, larger engine and the AWD system creating more driveline resistance. Plus Subaru tend to tune their engines for higher outputs with a linear power/torque buildup. This usually means they end up using more fuel.

2007 Subaru Legacy Special Edition 2.5i from North America

Summary:

Buy something else, save your money

Approx. every 15,000 miles the engine on this car would blow up. The number one rod bearing would give out. They would rebuild the engine the first time, then 15 K miles later it happened again. I kept telling them that the car was using 2 quarts of oil every 1,500 miles, but they told me I was a "idiot" and didn't know how to read the dipstick.

After the 3rd time the engine blew at 48,000 miles, I took the car back to the dealer again and it was the same problem as all the other times, #1 rod bearing again. I am not the only person who has had this happen to me, I know of 2 others within the last 6 months that this happened to. They each sold their car as soon as it happened after hearing what happened to mine as well. I wish I would have after the first time. I will never buy another Subaru again. Especially after they refused to warranty the engine again and replace it, even though I got the extended warranty with the car.

General Comments:

Car is great if you need AWD like where I live out in the sticks. Great for corners and in the snow, but other than that I wouldn't recommend a Subaru.

Review Date: 26th August, 2009

19th Aug 2010, 14:51

Sounds like some real winners at your local dealer. See if you have a lemon law in your state, and report them to the BBB. Tell them to give you a different car, or your money back. That, or you sue the pants off of them. If they don't comply, SUE THEM. Take it to an independent tech to verify that you are, indeed, not an idiot, and that your car sux. Make sure they are certified ASE techs and build a case; take pics, get statements. Wage war. Then, don't let this kill Subaru for you. I have had 6 and love them, and plan on buying more.

19th Aug 2010, 19:48

I agree, this is more about the shop than it is about Subaru. If the same exact thing keeps happening, then they aren't fixing it right and have no clue how to work on these engines.

Subaru's are excellent cars really, and it is unfortunate you've had bad luck with yours.

22nd Dec 2010, 07:04

Do you really need AWD?

I've been using Blizzak snow/ice tires in the winter on all my cars because of their incredible stopping ability. On my RWD van, it never gets stuck in snow, unless you try to go through a 30 inch bank made by the snow plow. Otherwise, never get stuck.

On my AWD van, you'd never get stuck, even if your tires were bald. But braking is scary dangerous, unless you have good traction tires anyway like the Blizzak.

My conclusion is that 90% of Americans who buy AWD don't actually need it. I live in the snow belt (but not on a mountain or on mud roads) and would NOT opt for AWD again. It adds weight, hurts performance, and adds repair and maintenance costs. But yes, I'm willing to swap summer wheels and winter wheels twice a year - but feel MUCH safer for doing so.

15th Feb 2013, 09:35

I agree very much with this comment, and I'd like to expand that to include 4wds as well. People forget AWD does not help you stop, and they can go off the road just as easily in wet weather with greasy roads, because AWD does not help when you have no traction on any wheel.