1996 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4 1.6 from Guatemala

Summary:

Small rock hopper

The A/C vents in the dashboard are broken (both).

Airbags have not been used, but are no longer functioning.

Headlamps' fuse blown because of a short circuit shortly after I bought it (repaired easily)

Rear door is not closing well, allowing rain water into vehicle.

General Comments:

I had a Tracker some time ago, and fell in love with the type of vehicle. This time I was looking for a reliable, cheap 4x4, and got this one as an offer. I really like it, compared to my previous Jetta obviously falls short in terms of accessories, but I know this little beast will take me farther for less.

Review Date: 26th October, 2008

7th Nov 2008, 19:11

The owner. I have had it for quite some time now and have been making 460km trips every two weeks, and must tell you, every time I use it, it uses less fuel, cruise speed is also acceptable and handles very nicely and easily around the tight bends on the road to the North of Guatemala. Very nice vehicle indeed. Accelerates easily and has never made me feel like it will not keep up to my demands on the road.

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JLX 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable, inexpensive and I love it!

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

This is a fabulous economical 4X4.

The Sport 1.8L is leaps and bounds above the standard 1.6L.

The Sport handles very well for a mini 4x4.

Not a lot of body roll and tipping.

It actually is sport like comparable to an economy car.

MPG is OK once I added a performance resistor.

I love this vehicle.

I do keep hearing about transfer case binding if you use 4x4 on dry pavement. I'm assuming that it would be OK in dry dirt, but now I'm leary. It's been great in regular street driving in snow in 4H. Even with more of a dry performance street tire. Drives right past (55mph) those big 4X4 trucks (30mph) with no rear traction because of no weight in empty truck bed.

So glad it has cruise control; I use it all the time.

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX 1.6L from North America

Summary:

AWESOME little 4WD SUV

Valve Cover Gasket.

Speedometer Cable replaced.

Muffler.

Brakes.

General Comments:

My sidekick was my moms before she passed. She bought it brand new in 96. It was the only red one on the lot! But since she passed my dad decided to give it to me.

It's a fantastic little SUV and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever seen. It's a 4-door. Great gas mileage, runs great, smooth shifting clutch, and the 4WD works great. I love driving it in the snow. Especially since I put some bigger tires on it. But even before it went through snow great!

I recently put a glass-pack muffler on it which is almost pretty much a straight pipe, it sounds awesome!! Gave it a little bit more power too. I put a custom cold air intake on it so that gave it more power too. So it's a pretty quick little SUV. Of course not as fast as my 5.0 H.O. Lincoln Mark VII. But I love it. It's my second car, I plan to keep it for life, and then maybe pass it down to my little sister.

I recommend the Suzuki Sidekick to anyone, because they really are Sidekicks, always there for you.

Review Date: 10th November, 2006

8th Dec 2009, 16:57

LOL, I have the EXACT same upgrades!

1996 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Give me a good service for way to much money

Basically I bought this car rebuilt that was my first mistake. But the engine was untouched. So I though it will last for ever. During the time I owned I spend 6 to 7 thousand in often visits to the shop. I most say that the problems that I encounter were more related with the fact that was rebuilt which I highly recommend everyone no to buy.

At 35000 I had to change the part of the catalyzed I am talking about the thing that goes in the muffler. So every year I had to spend around 1200 bucks for parts and maintenance besides the regular oil change (that is not considered in my numbers). Parts for this car are very expensive and hard to find. But remember that I am in Alaska maybe there is a reason why.

General Comments:

I like my Suzuki, but was a scary car to drive when I was in the highway and wind was strong. Not a great stability. Overall since the day I bought it I had 300 miles per tank no problem, in the winter with the 4x4 was around 200, 230 miles. So was cheap on gas until at 75,000miles the engine broke. The lower crane chap polie (if this make any sense to you, I not sure how to spell of name this parts) could not kept it tie and the piece that connects broke a teeth and started causing the mayor problem. $600 cost me to find out that I need like $2400 to fix it. And that was it.

I am buying another car that is not Suzuki.

Review Date: 4th November, 2005

29th Nov 2005, 13:48

Regarding the lower "crane chap polie"... I believe you mean "lower crank shaft pulley"