1996 Suzuki Sidekick Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1996 Suzuki Sidekick jx 1.6 from North America

Previous carDodge Ramcharger

Summary:

Fun to drive

Repaired timing gear twice and the third time it slipped the motor had to be replaced.

General Comments:

The Sidekick handles great.

4x4 works well.

It rides a little rough, but it's not a car.

Problems keep occurring with the timing gear.

Review Date: 10th February, 2004

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JA 1.6 gas from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 gas Manual
Previous carPlymouth Reliant

Summary:

A reliable and affordable 4x4

Battery cracked due to a major front collision.

Battery terminals were also replaced.

General Comments:

Before I bought this little truck, I was a bit skeptical since I have heard one too many stories about sidekicks prone to rolling over. This however after driving the vehicle for over a year is no longer a concern. I realized that since it has a body similar to that of a S.U.V. one has to drive it according to it's dimensions. As long as you don't do 90km/h off of a yield you should be fine. As I became accustomed to the vehicle I found myself pushing it to the limits at every destination I took it to. In traffic the sidekick is small and very easy to maneuver. It is quick when taking into consideration the vehicle weighs 3,307 lbs and is being pushed by only a 1.6L engine. Off-road the sidekick can go quite aways with decent tires, my 4x4 has manual locking hubs, however automatic locking hubs are also available. The vehicle sits 4 adults with plenty of head room. The front seats are bucket seats while the rear is a bench. The truck is durable and overall I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wishes to sport a 4x4 that won't cost you an arm and a leg to purchase. Yet will always be there for you when you need it. These Suzuki's also come in convertible which is an excellent option come summer.

Review Date: 16th January, 2004

13th Sep 2006, 11:05

The Sidekick weighs about 2400 LBS.

1996 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4 1.6 Litre from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 1.6 Litre Manual
Previous carHyundai Excel

Summary:

Considering mileage and investment this has been the cheapest car to run I've owned

I have had 2 major things go wrong with the car. The first one was due to my own lack of knowledge of the vehicle.

At 145,000km the timing belt went and resulted in the motor being replaced. Unlike cars I've owned in the past, the loss of a timing belt in the Suzuki will cause major damage to the engine. Live and learn...

At 420,000km the heater hose blew causing the engine to overheat. The engine hasn't been the same ever since. Many components have been replaced such as the water pump, thermostat, plugs and wires in an attempt to rectify the poor running engine. It does run more smoother now, but alas I think it's days are numbered, but at 420,000km I can't really complain.

General Comments:

The main reason I purchased this vehicle is for the 4X4. It has got me home many times in adverse winter conditions.

Not a very comfortable car, but it is simple and enjoyable.

Gotta love the soft top.

Review Date: 5th September, 2003

15th Feb 2005, 07:34

Did you crack your head gasket when your car blew the heater hose?, I had the same problem not long ago just after I replaced the clutch, I was going on a long trip and next thing I know I'm broke down on the side of the interstate.

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX 1.6 liter from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 1.6 liter Manual
Previous carSuzuki Swift

Summary:

A tough as nails, severely reliable, and highly capable SUV

The only thing that went wrong with this truck was when the rear engine seal went out. That however was my own fault. I was off-roading with a friend who had a heavily modified 4x4, and we got to a point where going down a ravine my transmission caught onto a rock and it got jerked. It wasn't serious. The seal only dripped little drops of oil; however, I had to replace it.

General Comments:

As of 2003, my Sidekick is a serious go getter. She keeps up with most of the "import cars". The Suzuki Sidekick was my dream vehicle. If I died right now, I can honestly say that I had my dream vehicle.

With little modifications, this truck can really move and perform.

I especially like the feel you get in the cabin. It feels like a sports car.

This is a great vehicle.

Review Date: 17th March, 2003