1996 Suzuki Sierra SJ80 G13b now from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fantastic

Nothing really. Just the usual things like battery & tyres.

General Comments:

This car is fantastic. I am the only owner & will never sell it ever. We have done over 300000 km together.

She was very slow & under powered, but now has a GTI 16 valve twin cam under the hood.

She recently took us to Cape York & didn't miss a beat. I love this car.

Review Date: 28th June, 2013

1996 Suzuki Sierra LX 1.3 Unleaded from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Tough, reliable multi purpose machine

The only two things I've had to replace so far is the rear crank seal, which was leaking, and much to my dissatisfaction, still is.

The water and alternator belts were squealing because the alternator was misaligned (???). Even though I've had the car for 7,000 kilometres or 6 months, it stills goes alright and has given my cheap motoring so far.

General Comments:

The car is slow. Very slow. I can't keep up with buses in the city, and don't even think about doing 110kph on the freeway. The vehicle's lack of wind resistance does no favours for the 1.3 litre carburettored engine under the bonnet, which I'm told, pushes out a meagre 23kw at the rear wheels.

The interior is not particularly spacious, but if you are 6"4' like me, you will find the head and leg room very good. All controls are easy to find. It's Japanese functionality at its best. No A/C, power steering so there is less to go wrong. I wouldn't say the interior is exceptionally loud, although I haven't driven many quiet cars.

The ride. The suspension feels like it actually does amplify the bumps as another reviewer has put it. You will find yourself cursing the government about the lack of road funding, because you feel every single little bump. The handling is rubbish, as it is a 4wd and they are prone to tipping.

My car is only a '96, and it has been well looked after, so no rust. The panels are easily dented if you push on the doors too hard, but I have fixed and resprayed them.

As I've said, you have to push it way too hard to keep up with normal traffic flow. So I'm putting in a 1.3 litre DOHC 16v engine to give me a bit of a boost.

Did I mention it's a killer off-road?

Review Date: 30th April, 2010

1996 Suzuki Sierra 4x4 Breakout 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Small, reliable and cheap to run

Nothing.

General Comments:

The Suzuki Sierra is a great little city runner.

We never took it onto the beach, but I hear it's ideal for that sort of four-wheeling activity.

It is the common knowledge that they tip over on steep inclines. If you do go off-roading, be wary of this... they have a short wheel base.

My wife and I found this car a good, reliable no-frills car.

The only thing it lacked was power and speed. Overtaking can be a stressful (and potentially dangerous) pastime, as the top speed it goes comfortably is about 100km/h. Any faster and the engine sounds like it's working a little too hard. Noise inside the cabin is a little loud at these speeds, too. Forget about listening to the radio on the freeway (unless you have a booming sound system).

Even during city driving, I found that I had my foot down on the floor very often. A long incline made it very difficult to stay at 60 or 70km/h. Cars are continually overtaking you.

But if you don't take on the highways, and you want a reliable, small city car that runs on the smell of an oily rag, the Sierra is perfect.

Review Date: 13th February, 2005

27th Jun 2009, 05:55

The Suzuki Sierras do have go. Depends on what year and model really. My mate has an '84 model and it goes past 140km/h.