1994 Suzuki Vitara Reviews

1994 Suzuki Vitara JLX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Model year1994
Previous carVolvo V70

Summary:

Will buy another when this one dies, but could be a while longer yet!

EGR valve, replaced shocks and brake discs.

General Comments:

I bought this car in Hong Kong in 2001, and shipped it to the UK in 2002 as per my last entry in 2002. I thought I might update readers on the condition. The car is still on the road with little mechanical elements required over the past 8 years. The bodywork is still in good condition with little sign of rust - a credit to the manufacturer's rust proofing from Japan. The 95 bhp 16v engine has now covered approx. 100000 miles with two timing belt changes. There is no rattles at start up, though the auto box is beginning to jump when selecting D or R, though still drivable.

The interior is still in good shape with little wear.

All the major electrics are functioning well, including the electric windows, all switches and lighting.

Drives great, and still an important apart of the family...

Review Date: 9th October, 2010

1994 Suzuki Vitara JLX SE 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Manual
Previous carAudi 80

Summary:

Great fun second car

Electric window switches stopped working.

General Comments:

Even though the Vitara is dubbed as a hairdressers car you will find that most blokes will jump at the chance to let them drive it.

I have found the engine pretty lively & the 16v model does about 30MPG, the power steering is a must as I have driven one without.

The general ride is a bit bouncy, but does 70/80 mph easy on the motorway.

Starts first time every time.

There is not a lot of boot space, but if you get the convertible who cares!

Review Date: 4th August, 2004

1994 Suzuki Vitara JLX 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 petrol Manual
Previous carToyota Starlet

Summary:

Every week a new problem

The Carburettor packed up at 90000, The brake wear is extremely high. The electrics are very unreliable, as is the automatic choke. The Radiator leaks. The door handles are about to fall off.

General Comments:

It was one thing after another going wrong. The drive is very spongy and uncomfortable. It was a lottery on whether or not it would start in the morning, and it's very rough on fuel.

Review Date: 19th July, 2004

25th May 2005, 11:36

Not bad, as I have a vitara, And my story is the same.

22nd Nov 2005, 15:02

It is fuel injected - it has neither a carburettor or an automatic choke.

5th Jan 2008, 20:03

I agree with the last comment, I just wish people would think before they write!!! it makes you lok very foolish indeed and destroys any credibility of the remarks you have highlighted.

6th Jan 2008, 03:17

I have a Grand Vitara. My husband bought it for me, and I wish he hadn't. I can't give anything else consideration in regards to this vehicle, because I was too busy driving from gas station to gas station to recognize any problems. I work, but a mere 1/4 mile from my house. I do modest running and errands such as, grocery store, taking kids to school 3 blocks away, and misc things. I didn't drive much due to the fact I work night shift, and sleep days. I was filling that thing up, with gas prices soaring higher and higher, twice a week. I was spending as much for gas as I was on groceries for my house. I gave it back to him, and told him it was his problem, and got myself a car. I will not even consider buying another one ever.

19th Feb 2012, 16:34

Mine does 36 to the gallon!

31st Dec 2012, 06:22

Cars for differing markets have different specifications...

1994 Suzuki Vitara JLX 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Automatic
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carLand Rover Range Rover

Summary:

Expect little and be very surprised!

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

This 5 door Vitara has proven to be an asset to the family with its reliability and comfort.

I bought the Vitara in Hong Kong and shipped it to the UK where most dealers are not happy with any of the servicing plans, other than what is provided by UK spec models, this leaves air conditioning and other normal items standard on Japanese spec vehicles having to be serviced outside Suzuki dealerships.

The ride of the vehicle is solid and is not as comfortable as my previous vehicle. However, it is indeed more reliable and fun to drive, the auto box once warm changes up and down beautifully and the sound of the 16 valve engine gives a nice sense of confidence to manage almost any situation.

I have not experienced the understeer problem to the degree of other reviews on this site, though I do not travel at a speed other than the road conditions allow.

Over the past 10 years I have had 4x4 vehicles including Samurai's, Subaru's, Discovery's and Range Rover. Other than the Subaru, this car (Vitara) has made me a dedicated fan of Suzuki cars.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2002

5th Mar 2005, 13:48

You know what you're talking about my friend, this is a nice little 4x4.