2001 Toyota Avensis VVTi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A really cheap to run, reliable car

Alternator.

Battery.

Water leak in boot.

General Comments:

As a car enthusiast / petrol head - I wish this car would break so I could replace it with something more fun as a daily runabout to work. However, as a practical car - it has been nothing short of excellent. It has handled all the abuse I have thrown at it extremely well, and is used as a cheap daily commuter around town that I don't need to worry about getting a few dents in.

The only thing that has gone wrong with it in 3 years of ownership has been the alternator. The battery was on its last legs (original battery, which was 9 years old at the time) and I think the alternator packing in sent the battery packing as well.

There was a slight water leak in the boot on the left hand side, which I understand is a common fault on them. They tend to go at the seal used between the panels. A quick bit of rubber sealant and the leak was gone.

All the maintenance is done by myself, and the car has required nothing more than oil / air filter and plug changes.

The only wear and tear parts that have been replaced are the two front tyres.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2012

2001 Toyota Avensis Aura 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Would not drive one if I got it for nothing

Short block had to be replaced, as it was burning oil and the gear box packed in after 95000 miles. Very sluggish when taking off.

My brother had to get block done on his 2004 model, and my sister the same on her 2002 model. We all taxi these and will never buy Toyota again...

General Comments:

I know many taxi drivers who would not buy Toyota as they have lost confidence in the car...

Review Date: 13th February, 2008

2001 Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVTi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Top notch, unbeatable reliability

Nothing major, fuse blew knocking out remote locking and alarm, but easily fixed with a new fuse.

General Comments:

This is possibly the best car I've ever had. It is comfortable, spacious and ultra reliable. Some people complain about the performance, but honestly, where in the UK can you use high performance vehicles without it being illegal? The performance on the Avensis is perfect for everyday driving.

Review Date: 12th January, 2008

30th Oct 2014, 12:25

Which fuse knocks out the alarm? I'm currently struggling to work out which fuse to pull to stop my alarm going off :-(

2001 Toyota Avensis 1.6 gasoline from Serbia

Summary:

I love it, but am aware of its faults

At around 50.000 it started losing oil suddenly. I went to service/dealer, they checked the compression and found that engine is not sealing properly. In fact that seemed to be the bug with some of 1600-1800 ccm engines, but not with diesel ones. As I was told, the piston seals were made in Slovakia, and were not made of a proper steel, so they had to change half the engine completely at their cost. After 24 hours I had my Avensis back and since then (now 130.000) I have not had a single problem regarding the engine.

However, I drive long distances and I noticed that my legs hurt me after some time spent sitting and driving. The front seats are too long (I am 175cm tall) and the front edge cuts circulation from behind. My wife says that sitting behind is very comfortable (there is really a lot of space in this car), but if I drive fast she becomes sick.

General Comments:

I have driven an Oldsmobile Cutlass, Toyota Supra, Toyota Corolla and many other smaller EU made cars like VW, Fiat, Austin etc. The 2001 Avensis is not as good as the Carina was, but it is certainly reliable, well made and designed car to drive in Europe.

Music system is absolutely superb, there is a lot of space (trunk is enormously big for EU car), it has a nice sporty look, even though it is not a car for very fast driving and certainly not a sports one.

There is power in engine though, but you need to learn how to squeeze it out. To cruise with it is a pleasure beyond what you might expect looking from outside, but not above 160-170 km/h when you start losing control.

As a car for business or small family trips it is excellent. To drive within city limits it is probably not a good solution. This car needs air to show what it can do.

Review Date: 28th September, 2007