1995 Toyota Celica ST from North America

Summary:

A solid, dependable, high performance jewel

Had to change timing belt (over 100,000 miles, radiator (over 150,000 miles) and brakes.

General Comments:

This is a wonderfull car. I've had it for 8 years with over 168,000 miles and it runs as smooth as it ever did.

Never had any major problems with it. The biggest was having to change the radiator and that was just recently. An amazing car, I highly recommend to anyone in the market for one. You won't be dissapointed.

Review Date: 12th October, 2003

25th Feb 2007, 17:55

At what mileage should the timing belt be replaced on this car? I am considering purchasing one with 117000 miles on it. It is in like new condition.

22nd May 2007, 16:41

Timing belts are 60000 miles give or take. It should have its second one at that mileage. If not budget about £200 for the labour. Or DIY, the belt is mega cheap. About 2.5 hours if you have the tools.

1995 Toyota Celica ST 1.8 from North America

Summary:

A master in craft and reliability

Had to replace the brakes at about 75 thousand miles.

The driver seat started to wear a little.

The passenger-side tail light went out at about 80 thousand miles.

General Comments:

This is the most reliable car I have ever driven.

Any problems I mentioned were pretty minor and cheap and quick to fix.

I drove this car every day since I got it back in 1997. I used it on the highway mostly and my average speed was about 70 mph. I also took it off road once in a while just for fun. So as you can see, I pushed this car and I pushed it more than any other car I have owned or driven and it begs for more. My 1998 Cavalier couldn't take excessive highway use. My Beretta was the same. My Pontiac couldn't take any abuse, minor or not. This Celica was put through 10 times more use and abuse it never gave up and it never lessened it's performance.

I don't know what else I can say. It sticks to the ground, accelerates on the dime, and the engine sounds incredible. And this was the 110 hp ST model! It's just too bad it was totalled.

Review Date: 4th May, 2003

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Sporty good looking fast stock car

Ever since I had the car, nothing has gone wrong with it. It still works like a beauty. Everything still in good shape. Engine is still really good. Runs great.

General Comments:

This car is quick and also has a good response. It's amazing because it's only stock and it's making these marks.

Review Date: 1st August, 2002

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Extremely sharp looking, very reliable, and smooth riding!

3rd Brake Light went out.

Hole in Headlight and High Beam.

General Comments:

This car is a dream come true. I felt like a just won the lotto! It drives smooth, the roar of the engine sounds great, and it is fast! My car is a real looker. All black, convertible. People stop and stare. I love the attention! I mainly bought it for the reliability and it has come through. I've bought this car 7 Years old, and it looks like it is only 2 years old. No rust, paint in excellent condition, everything works, interior is in great shape! Excellent buy! I can't say enough about this car.

Review Date: 4th April, 2002

1995 Toyota Celica ST 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Absolutely nothing. Apart from the normal services (every 9000 miles) it hasn't seen a garage at all.

General Comments:

I still think it's a gorgeous car to look at, and it drives extremely well also.

I would have preferred the GT version but all models share the same chassis and the road handling is excellent on them all.

The accommodation in the rear is cramped, but the boot is large for a coupe.

If I didn't have small children now I'd buy one again.

Review Date: 7th March, 1999

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Misfiring, stalling, brakes grinding, sticking electric aerial and that was in just 7 months of ownership and OCTAGON NEVER got any of it fixed. Octogon of Bracknell were the worst dealership in the world by some margin.

General Comments:

Great car to look at and drive when running right. Handling good except when pushed hard and then the back would let go. The car drove me insane with the faults above and had to go back at a large loss to myself. Back to Fords for me.

Review Date: 7th February, 1999

16th Dec 2000, 23:21

Misfiring?? How about some new spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Stalling?????? Well learn how to find the friction point and put it in gear.

Brakes grinding???? Well maybe you want to get some new brake pads, callipers, etc...

27th Jan 2001, 22:35

Very unusual to hear someone say such bad things about such a great car! I've had mine for 7 years, 145000 KM and it is by far the most reliable car I have owned.

26th May 2001, 21:46

Yeah really... disappointing to hear those comments about an awesome car... you must have just got a bad one... oh well...

23rd Jul 2002, 08:13

Agreed. You are the ONLY person that has these complaints. Try a mechanic.. Ford better than Toyota? Never. This car is excellent mechanically. Your problems is not the fault of the maker, but rather the fault of the previous owners.

23rd Nov 2003, 15:08

It is rather unfortunate that so many problems have occurred in such a reliable vehicle. I owned the same vehicle and only have to do routine maintenance aside from an alternator and leaking brake cylinder, but then again my car had 176,000 miles when I let it go. Maybe the previous owners abused it, or you got a lemon. Either way, no one is perfect, but toyota rules when it comes to reliability.

19th Jul 2008, 14:27

I'm sorry to all of you that said your Celica was so great. I currently own a 94 Celica. I got mine two years ago and was only the second owner. I replaced the engine a year after buying it and the same problem has now returned. I am sorry to say but it's gotta go. I love the look but looks only go so far.

3rd Mar 2010, 04:44

I own a 1995 Celica GT twincam. Best reliable car in the world! 1560000 miles, still driving like new! All it has ever needed is brake pads. What a car!!