1987 Toyota Cressida Luxury 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Overall a great car

Toyota overall is the ultimate car, especially my old school Cressida. My Cressida is always getting compliments on its nice condition etc...

This is a cult classic, and younger generations are into these Cressidas as well as older people.

Good power and handling, great car!

Review Date: 6th June, 2010

1987 Toyota Cressida Special Edition 2.8 Liter from North America

Summary:

I love it!!!

Well We bought the car in excellent condition all in working order although due to an accident within our family the car was put in storage in about 2000 and it was during the winter, so needless to say the salt and moisture has inevitibly started eating away at it since I got it out of storage. Engine seal or two needed replaced at about 187,000 miles other things that have gone wrong have mostly been exterior body rust and exhaust rust, and some minor suspension wear has caused a little more noise while driving over bumps.

General Comments:

I love this car! It has been through hell and back for me and my dad who drove it before I bought it from him. It is an amazing ride especially on the highway or a twisty smooth country road when all in good working order. The car for its age holds out very very well. The gas is not the greatest efficiency although it could be worse. I usually get about 17 mpg city and about 28 highway. Although having put a lot of money into the car to keep it in top condition all in all is an amazingly reliable and comfortable car. It has never stranded me!!! However the ford escort I had before this car had stranded me on several occasions and it had less miles on it and was two years younger. The interior fabric is so comfortable and very durable! NO VISIBLE wear or tear on the seats. Same with the dash and the other interior consoles and features no sign of being almost 20 years old. The Engine is so nice to have, very smooth running and quiet and a smooth transmission, but it is no turtle with the DOHC inline six cylinder with Electronically controlled transmission and Electronic fuel injection you can get up to speed in no time at all. And when I say not time I mean 0-60 in about 5 1/2 seconds when everything is in top working order! I love it silent, but deadly lol. To sum it up it is a great car I would buy another one in a heart beat if finances allowed!

Review Date: 3rd April, 2006

1987 Toyota Cressida 4 DR sedan 2.3L from North America

Summary:

I want another one soon

My heater core hose went out at 215,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is a must buy vehicle. The engine will run forever if you change the oil every 3,500 miles. If not, you will have problems with the valve stems, and smoking from exhaust.

Review Date: 5th December, 2005

1987 Toyota Cressida GLX 2.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Cressida: conspicuous, refined, comfortable, reliable - look out for them

I have just purchased this car very cheaply used.

It has had several owners, no manual or records!

In incredible condition, but was not kept very well by previous owner.

Have done some basic maintenance, taken 6 liters of oil and exchanged for 2, Connected ECU, fuel injection computer, wasn't running smoothly without it!

General Comments:

This 1987 car is in amazing condition for its age.

I am very happy with a bit of care, change of oil, other fluids, filters, it runs very smoothly.

Auto transmission gear changes could be a bit smoother at lower speed, but it this is only a problem if the car is driven fast (flooring as I doubt it was supposed to do).

Needs front suspension, but other than that no really obvious problems.

I can't believe my luck, especially when I had known about Cressida's, but never looked twice at them,..more of a square slow car I thought, not true.

Is a 6 cylinder and as such not super cheap on fuel, but even so, seems cheaper than my poor old 4 cylinder Nissan Datsun Bluebird.

I was after an early Australian Toyota Camry which is just as conservative with none of the class, lucky I didn't get one!

Look carefully at all options before you rule out cars, there must be other gems out there!

Review Date: 2nd March, 2005