2004 Toyota Matrix XR from North America

Summary:

Not that great

Paint is very sensitive, scratches easily.

Don't use it much, so I have gone through 2 batteries. The car is sitting in the driveway now with a dead battery.

Base model, car had no fog lights when bought.

Weird warning lights at start up, not sure if that is normal.

Lots of hesitation when starting up the car.

General Comments:

I am thinking of selling it, because it seems to be overall too sensitive for someone in a city, and who doesn't use the car to commute to work each day.

Very roomy.

Visibility is so-so. Sedans or small SUVs have better visibility.

Paint comes off very easily; unusual for a Toyota in general.

Review Date: 18th August, 2007

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Sweet Ride

Nothing major. I notices that the air conditioning was not blowing as cold as I thought it should be. Also when I used the AC it always left large amounts of water on the passenger side floor. Brought it to the Toyota dealership and the guy came right outside and plugged in a cord under the glove box/passenger side-fixed the problem.

General Comments:

I have a 2004 Matrix XRS. I love it!!! Peppy, sporty, and reliable. Only issues would be the cost of the tires- performance tires can be pricey. I would love to get a roof rack to put on it…but the Toyota dealerships seem to not be able to locate a roof rack for the matrix??? One said that there is no roof rack made by Toyota for the Matrix and another is looking into it. Can anyone shed some light on this??

Review Date: 5th September, 2006

9th Oct 2006, 14:06

The roof rack for a Matrix is a $300 accessory. I have one on mine.

9th Oct 2006, 14:06

The roof rack for a Matrix is a $300 accessory. I have one on mine.

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS 1.8 VVTL-i from North America

Summary:

Fun

Nothing. I have had my oil replaced with synthetic every 5000 km. Shifter was crunchy, replaced with TRD short throw and brass bushings; now much better.

General Comments:

This car is great. A very potent 1.8 liter that redlines at an incredible 8100 rpm springs to life over 6000 rpm. Under 6000 rpm, it's a quiet, fuel economical Toyota everyone expects. Shifter placement is great; right beside the steering wheel. Gages are very sporty. Cargo room is incredibly large. The 110v adaptor is a useful touch. I get an average of 28+ mpg (even with a lead foot).

The 6 speed is a nice transmission, however the gear spacing drops the car out of power band between 1st and 2nd.

For a wagon, its extremely nimble! It handles the corners with ease.

It's everything I wanted in a car. It comes alive when I want it to, its got space when I need it. The only thing that I don't like is it requires premium gas.

Review Date: 16th January, 2005

20th Mar 2005, 20:12

I agree, but was told that gas grade does not matter. How ever it also has some power loss and response to clutch when you have the a/c all the way up.

28th Feb 2006, 12:01

I love my Matrix. It has everything I need and more in space, power, maneuverability and options. I agree with some of the comments with respect to the power band and shifting, but these are minor compared to everything else I get out of it.

The only recent concern is that I am having to replace the clutch of the 2004 Matrix XRS after 92,000 km. I am interested to know if there is anyone else out there with this issue.

18th Aug 2006, 11:48

Unfortunately, They put a lousy clutch in the XRS and won't own up to it. I not only lodged complaints with the dealer service manager, I also went as high up with Toyota America as I could. They were no help. My clutches last 100,000+ miles on all my cars. The Matrix went at 30,000 miles. This is unacceptable! The car is so great, I guess I'm going to tolerate it. The new one isn't much better. I'll go after market on the next one as I'm not expecting it to last much past 60,000 miles. All I can say is complain to Toyota, maybe if enough complaints go out, they will issue a recall or something.