1993 Toyota Starlet Review

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission 4EFTE Manual
Most recent distance190000 kilometres
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

Very reliable and very quick for what it is

At around 160 000 kilometres, the water pump needed replacing.

I've currently got a slight oil leak from around the top end of the motor, but haven't as yet taken to have it fixed.

If I idle stationary for 10 minutes, the car starts to blow smoke - but I think this is due to a modification I've done to the car. (Or possibly something as simple as a dirty air-filter)

Hand brake tends to lose tension easily.

One of rear seat belts not functioning properly.

General Comments:

This car has been very good to me for the past 4 years that I've had it. I'm a bit slack when it comes to maintenance, so the fact that the only problems I've have been a slight oil leak and a wrecked water pump is amazing.

I've given the Starlet a very hard time while having it, and it's taken the 'abuse' extraordinarily well. Then again, I have never adjusted the boost or done many major modifications to it either. So it's regular Toyota reliability, through and through.

The only time the car hasn't started when I wanted it to was when the battery was flat. No other faults have prevented the car from starting.

All in all - a very good car. It's not the quickest car on the road, but it is very good for what it is. Also, given that it is is a reasonably quick turbo, the fuel consumption is still very good. So while a stock GT won't beat a GT-R, you'll only be spending a 1/4 as much on petrol.

Review Date: 19th January, 2009