1999 Toyota Starlet Life 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Cheap to run, and a good runabout for those short trips

Faulty driver's side door light switch (light would not turn off when the door closed) - fixed with a five cent coin taped to the door to push it in further.

General Comments:

This car is so cheap to run! From service parts, tyres and fuel economy; definitely for the lower income individual!

It's a bit small on the inside, not ideal for a taller person, but controls are in easy reach.

3 speed automatic is quite gutless and makes the engine work hard, especially when taking off at traffic lights (requires your foot to floor), but can maintain higher speeds... when it reaches them. A 5 speed manual transmission would better suit the 4E-FE engine within.

Air conditioning blows nice and cold.

Overall, if you're looking for a cheap, reliable little runabout for the shops or around backstreets, then the Starlet is definitely worth looking at!

Review Date: 2nd June, 2014

1999 Toyota Starlet Glanza V Turbo 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Serious little pocket rocket

The distributor cap points were corroded and stopped the car from starting one day, but I just cleaned them and it started first turn of the key.

The aftermarket exhaust backbox fell apart, so needed to be changed.

The radiator sprung a leak, so I replaced it with a 2nd hand unit.

And that's it!!!

General Comments:

In standard trim, they're pretty poor in all areas, but mine had Recaro seats with modified rails to suit my driving position, TRD suspension, Cusco strut braces, Whiteline anti roll bars, Mintex brake pads and HEL braided brake lines.

Engine mods were an Apexi catback RX7 topmount and Apexi front mounted air filter, and boost raised to 0.8 bar.

This thing handled like it was on rails, and went like stink

I could easily put a lot of bigger cars to shame on the straights or in the bends.

These cars have so much potential, it's unbelievable.

Review Date: 28th January, 2014

1999 Toyota Starlet S 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best small car I have had

Nothing.

General Comments:

What a fabulous car, It is reliable, cheap to run and since I have had it I have only had to replace tires, brake pads etc.

My only regret is they don't make this car anymore, as I would be buying another one.

My wife also had a Starlet and we traded it in for a Zafira, as we needed a larger car. What a mistake, as we have had no end of problems and spent hundreds of pounds on it, and it's been in an out of the garage more times than I can remember.

I will definitely be sticking to Toyotas in the future.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2008

1999 Toyota Starlet GLS 3 door 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It is a wonderful, speedy little car, mine has funky speakers too!

My battery drained a few months ago to nothing and needed replacing.

General Comments:

Having driven, though not owned (parent's cars,etc), several different car makes/models, this is by far the easiest to drive. Other cars I have driven include a Renault Megane, a Toyota Rav 4, a Vauxhall Astra and a Ford Fiesta.

I often take the two hour drive to visit my parents in it and my partner and I are always comfortable, though there is not much leg room in the rear seats should I carry more than one passenger.

This being the first car I have owned, I am obviously very attached to it, and would recommend it to other first owners on account of it's ease of driving and low fuel consumption, though it's turning circle could be improved.

Why, oh why did they replace it with the yaris?!

Review Date: 6th February, 2007

1999 Toyota Starlet S 1.3i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Reliable, sporty, a real hot hot hatch that will look after you

The only thing thay have gone wrong with my car is a clicking brake, new brake pads sorted out the noise.

My front seat sqweaks sounds like a mad hamster running round on a wheel.

General Comments:

However for these minor faults, the car runs like a dream.

She is nippy, looks sporty and leaves other cars standing at traffic lights.

The kick down on my auto model is responsive and eager.

Very economical to run, as low as 40 quid a month.

Only real gripe could do with more leg room in back.

Review Date: 7th June, 2002