1997 Toyota Tacoma Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 2.7 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

If you like small pick up's this is the one

No Fault's Knock on wood.

General Comments:

It's just a great truck and it hold's it's value a great investment, but you won't have to worry about all that. this truck is a keeper.

Review Date: 5th November, 2003

1997 Toyota Tacoma LX X-Cab 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Bronco

Summary:

Dependable truck that loves gas and leaves you with a sore back

No major problems with the truck.

Brake were replaced at 60,000.

General Comments:

This was the most uncomfortable truck I have ever been in. Toyota seats are like rocks. I could not drive in it for more than 15 minutes before it would hurt my back.Tacoma's do not ride very well.

The gas mileage stunk I was getting about 12 miles to the gallon.

This truck was very dependable, but it had a poor ride and gas mileage.

Review Date: 20th August, 2003

22nd Feb 2005, 20:35

I completely agree with you. The seats suck and the ride is terrible, but its the most reliable truck I have ever owned. Highly recommended.

15th Jan 2010, 12:08

I have had my Tacoma for 13 years, and the seats never bothered my back, and I got a consistent 22 MPG with 4 cylinder manual transmission with 4WD. But I just noticed the frame rust, and they are giving me $8100 for it with 296,000 miles on it.

1997 Toyota Tacoma standard cab 2.4L I4 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.4L I4 Automatic

Summary:

Best in its class

Nothing has ever gone wrong with the truck. My grandfather owned it before me so I know exactly what is has been through.

General Comments:

I own a 1997 4X2 Toyota Tacoma. Its powerhouse is a 2.4L, 142-horse power engine with 160 feet of torque. I have it modified for highway driving and I obtain nearly 32 miles to the gallon on highway driving and about 25 miles per gallon in the city. I have owned it now for a little over 3 years and have acquired more than 64,000 miles. I have not yet had a problem with any part of the vehicle and don't expect to until I am well over 250,000 miles. It has great acceleration and the passing gears throw you back in your seat. I find that it is also easy to work on the engine. I have been in two accidents, and the truck held up quite well, better then the full-size fords. The only thing that the Tacoma lacks is the comfort that the seats give.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2002

21st Apr 2003, 11:27

How did you modify your truck to increase MPG?

Kevin.

6th Jan 2006, 23:05

I am too is wondering as of how and what modification did you do to make the mpg of your truck to get that good?

Andy.

22nd Mar 2008, 10:56

I just posted a review of my 97 4x2 Tacoma, and I completely agree with a lot of what you said. It gets great mileage when running right, and even stock has more than enough power. The only thing I can advise is quite obvious. Make sure you tune it up right or your gas mileage will plummet. Mine was around 10-12 city for awhile. And also watch the 02 sensors, they have a retarded design, and if the bolts rust on, they need to be torched off. Parts are a little more costly, but work longer.

And also, I was hit at 3 miles an hour in a gas station parking lot by a senile old guy in an F250, and he did 2700 dollars in damage, to his minor scratch. So I'm not sure I believe that your Tacoma has held up better.

1997 Toyota Tacoma SX 2.7 from North America