1986 Toyota Tercel Reviews - Page 7 of 7

1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD 1.5 from Norway

Year of manufacture1986
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carVolvo 760

Summary:

A very reliable car!!!

The back, right ball bearing wore out.

General Comments:

Many owners of the Toyota Tercel, think this is an underpowered car, but the one I have is actually very quick. Compared to my previous car - a Volvo 760 - it is very quick, as the Volvo had a 2.8 L V6 engine.

The 4WD is very useful in the hard winters, but I have some problems getting the car back to 2WD, as it has a differential lock.

When I'm driving the cabin is big enough, and I'm about 2 metres long. A problem is when I am about to enter or exit the car, there is not enough leg room to get out in an easy way.

Loading capacity is surprisingly large. I fitted a nearly 1.5 metre EL piano back there. There was still room for a passenger in one of the back seats.

Economically it uses about 0.7 litres of fuel in the cities. The repair costs are fairly cheap, as they are rare.

Review Date: 10th August, 2001

7th Feb 2004, 00:18

I've noticed reading many Tercel reviews including yours, that owners have difficulty changing from 4WD to 2WD. I once was pulling onto a made road from a muddy unmade road and I stopped to change back into 2WD and I had the usual troubles selecting 2WD. Then somebody pulled up beside me and said " having trouble getting back into 2WD ". They said, " just reverse back a couple of feet and it will go in no problem ". I tried it and it worked and has always gone into 2WD without fail, if I reverse back first.

1986 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Estate 1.5 petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1986
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.5 petrol Manual
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

A superb smelly old wagon

Nothing has gone wrong despite being an old wreck. Syncros are a bit worn in the box but apart from that it's great.

General Comments:

This is a fantastic little car. I use it for everything from long distance to fetching logs from the field. It's light enough to go anywhere off road and great in the snow.

Review Date: 4th April, 2001

29th May 2001, 01:58

I've had these cars in my family for the past 15 years, since my father bought a 1984 SR5 wagon brand new. Just last week I picked up my second 1988 Deluxe wagon for 2000$ in near perfect condition.

I dubbed my 2 wagons Judy and Jane - sisters :)

I'll never doubt what these cars can/cannot do.