1997 Toyota Tercel CE from North America

Summary:

It's a great economical, reliable vehicle

The brake fluid lines seem to be flimsy, and have ruptured a few times in the past year.

General Comments:

I love this car; It's incredibly, insanely reliable, and it won't leave me with a hole in my wallet after buying gasoline. It is better for the environment and absolutely adorable.

Review Date: 8th July, 2008

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 1.5 Liter from North America

Summary:

Most economical car I've had

Recently, my Tercel has been burning fuel (since about 170,000 miles). This never was a problem before. I'm losing about 1 quart every 3 months. I replaced the original timing belt at 111,000, nothing was wrong with it. I had the belts on the alternator get loose, but the replacement was inexpensive. I've had to replace sparkplugs twice since about 140,000 miles. I've had to periodically replace the calipers and rotors. Not sure if that was the car or less than scrupulous mechanics... Otherwise no major problems.

General Comments:

I get amazing gas mileage... from 37 to 44 miles per gallon depending on the driving conditions. It handles well. the engine is quiet. Have not had any transmission issues in 178,000 miles. I've driven the car from NY to California and back 3 times, and many other long distance trips around the eastern US. Car has ample power. I wish Toyota hadn't discontinued this model!

Review Date: 5th June, 2008

1st Jul 2008, 13:32

Oil consumption is not unusual for Toyotas, as stated in the owner's manual of my 1991 Camry (the second such car I've owned). A quart every 3 months is not a problem at all, especially at 170,000 miles. When you get to a quart every 1000 miles, you might seek out a qualified mechanic.

Just keep a check on the dipstick every 10 days or so, just to be on the safe side.

1997 Toyota Tercel 1.3 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Nothing has gone wrong so far, although the battery may need replacing soon; it seems to lose charge if the car is not driven for a few days.

General Comments:

The car is a Japanese import with one New Zealand owner.

The interior and overall condition of the car was almost as new when I bought it.

It is a comfortable car to drive around town. Although the car is not too comfortable for long journeys, as the seats lack under-thigh support.

The 1.3 litre engine and three speed auto limits performance in hills, requiring a manual shift to 2nd. Performance on the flat is good and the car comfortably cruises at 100-115kmh.

Rear seat accommodation is limited, strictly for small children only.

I am somewhat disappointed with the fuel consumption. 37mpg is less than expected from a light weight car with a 1.3 liter engine.

Review Date: 4th March, 2008

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2 door 1.5 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Best car I have ever owned, PERIOD!

An alternator at 68k, otherwise.. No Problems..EVER!! NO warranty repairs at the dealer in 5/50K! I do ALL my own maintenance, have all records since day one! Oil/filter every 1.5k (only 3 quarts!).Tune-up once-a-year.

General Comments:

Rock solid, easy to maintain, a wonderful car for the money.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2007

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 1.5 EFI from North America

Summary:

ALL MIGHTY GOD OF COMPACT 90's CARS

Nothing, sounds like a sewing machine though. Runs like a little dream even at 306,000 mi. I thought I could blow it up, but nope! Japan sure does make the best cars, haven't replaced anything, just gets its nice Valvoline or Castrol oil changes (non-synthetic) and Fram oil filter... never had a problem with it, always starts, even at -30degC... better then the 2005 neon I totalled... this little car even goes for some light rally driving and it holds up with zero problems... likely going to get a Yaris if this thing ever breaks... but I don't see that happening - it will outlast me... lol, anyway best car I've ever seen in terms of super low costs and insurance.

General Comments:

BUY One even for a winter beater you just can't beat them (oh PS no rust on this 97 literally none, but you have to have any car oil sprayed every year for that)

Review Date: 27th April, 2007

21st Sep 2008, 20:57

Right on! My 96 Tercy with 144K is purring along. I do my own oil changes and use only premium non-synthetic oil and FRAM Extra Guard filters. Best gas for this car is Chevron Regular and also an occasional shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank really keeps the fuel system clean and boosts mileage. Anything more complicated, like regular major tune-ups, is done by the dealer because I know they'll do it right the first time and use only genuine Toyota parts. These little cars rule: perfect weight-to-power ratio, great mileage, the tires are an affordable size (michelins from Sears), etc. I don't even miss power windows but I do wish it had intermittent wipers!Has anyone had issues with the oxygen sensor giving a false positive 'Check Engine' light? I had to replace mine about 120k mark and it wasn't a cheap fix.