1987 Toyota Van Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1987 Toyota Van LE 4wd 2.2L 4YE-C from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L 4YE-C Automatic
Previous carToyota Van

Summary:

4wd makes the best van even better

Van needs a tune-up.

Could use shocks and tires soon, as well.

General Comments:

The 86-89 4wd Toyota Vans are the best overall vehicles you can buy. They are cheap to buy and maintain. They are very comfortable and are extremely maneuverable on and off road. With proper maintenance they can last forever. I use mine to get to work, to camp, for cargo, and for fun.

Review Date: 27th February, 2003

1987 Toyota Van LE 4 cylinder. from North America

First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder. Automatic

Summary:

Part of the family!

Alternator at 189,000 miles, starter at 160,000 miles, muffler at 139,000 miles, water pump at 193,000 miles, but hey, what do you expect? These are all typical wear items, right?

General Comments:

I have totally loved this van! It doesn't have a lot of power, but I will take it for it's reliability any day. I am going to drive this bad boy until it drops! I can't believe that at 239,000 miles it is still reliable enough that I can use it as a daily driver. Everything still works - the cruise control, air conditioning, radio, etc.

The turning radius is beautiful. Can park anywhere and turn around anywhere.

It has a horrible time in the snow! I tried putting aggressive studded snow tires on it and nothing seems to help. Oh well, it is a lot of fun if you want to play in the snow! I've just got to take it real easy on the mountain passes of Colorado.

Review Date: 12th December, 2002

1987 Toyota Van Cargo 2.2 litre from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 2.2 litre Manual
Previous carMazda GLC

Summary:

One of the best-designed and engineered vehicles ever

Misfiring/ electrical problem about 6 months after I bought it - needed a new rotor and wiring harness, although it still seems to misfire, but not too badly.

I had to replace the front brake pads last year.

The oil warning light comes on sporadically for no reason at all, but I pay no attention and just check it myself from time to time.

Right now there's a horrendous squeak coming from the bushings or torsion bar at the front right suspension, which no amount of grease or spray lubricant has managed to subdue.

Apart from that, it's miraculous. Starts immediately, even in a Calgary winter when I haven't plugged in the block heater.

General Comments:

This is such a fantastic vehicle, and I hope I can keep it running forever.

I bought it for a thousand dollars from a guy who'd used it for his drywalling business, and before that it belonged to a local electrician firm - it still has their number '3' on it. I guess it's been looked after, and lord knows I look after it too.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2002

1987 Toyota Van LE 2.2 from North America

Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

The best bang for my buck!

The problems with my van so far include:

The alternator had to be replaced at 448,00 kilometers.

Two radiator hoses (both upper) had to be replaced.

And most recently an output shaft seal that is starting to leak in the rear axle.

General Comments:

I purchased this car for only $500 Canadian and I feel it was worth it.

It is a 4 wheel drive and came fully loaded... air conditioning (still cold), power everything, cruise control, 7 passenger seating, sunroof, roof rack with a ladder in the back for accessibility, and absolutely no rust.

The engine doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil and the 4 wheel drive comes in handy in the snow and on my adventurous camping trips.

The cabin itself is very comfortable, especially in the rear, which includes to captain's chairs.

On the highway it is very smooth and surprisingly quite.

The fuel consumption is extremely reasonable considering it is a 4x4 and the capacity it can carry.

I tow a trailer with it that many times carries very heavy loads and it fairs very well.

The van still passes the local air emission controls and will hopefully keep doing so for a long time.

I have not spent that much money on maintenance; I feel that regular oil changes and the occasional tune-up will help it reach at least half a million kilometers.

Review Date: 9th September, 2002