1980 Triumph TR7 Convertible from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I would not part with it

Water pump.

Blown up engine.

Points, points, points!

General Comments:

I bought the car as a running wreck in 1996 and have spent the last four years renovating it. Everything has been renewed from the wheels to the roof with a bare metal respray in between. Apart from blowing up the engine on the M2 in Kent shortly after I bought it, the car has been very reliable and a pleasure to drive which I do every day.

Review Date: 11th July, 2000

1980 Triumph TR7 2.0 from North America

Since I bought the car I have only had to replace some rubber and suspension parts that the previous owner had neglected to do. Does leak a drop or two of oil on my garage floor, but I aim to try and correct that with some new gaskets.

General Comments:

Car starts every time, performs very well for a 2.0L four, sounds great with the muffler/rear resonator setup, still turns heads for a 20 year old convertible. Fun to drive, and handles great.

Review Date: 27th August, 1999

12th Oct 2002, 05:46

Shawn, Regarding your clutch on your tr7,the problem is that is has stuck on! to free off, remove the rear wheels, (after 1st supporting the car!!),put the car in gear,3rd or 4th, start it up, push on the gas, with the clutch down, and stamp on the brake!!!. (you might need a hand to keep the gas pedal down!,this should then free off the clutch.

P.s I know it works, as I just did it to mine!!

1980 Triumph TR7 DHC 2 litre from Italy

Uh, brakes, radiator, heater radiator, bushes all round the car, all rubber stuff, gaiters.

General Comments:

Great look, great fun.

Unfortunately they stopped making it 18 years ago.

1980 Triumph TR7 DHC Convertible 2.0 Liter from North America

Nothing really, I'm about the 4th owner, and I haven't been all that sure about the maintenance before me. But, the car has been rather reliable; the only bits I have had to pay attention to are the normal consumables one would expect in a nearly 20 year old car....

General Comments:

A great looking, fun car. The TR8 has some more horsepower and is faster in the top end, but the TR7 is reasonably quick and very nimble around the twisties. Classic roadster with a modern edge. Just too little too late to save Triumph, or we could be getting new ones even today....

1st Jun 2008, 00:51

In 1999 a person could afford to run a TR7...

$1.35/Liter... the next time someone comments that will sound cheap XD.

14th Feb 2011, 17:48

I Got a Triumph TR7 1980 with 30,000 km on it, how much would this be worth?

1980 Triumph TR7 FHC 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Head gaskets.

Rust.

Water pumps seize and destroy engine.

General Comments:

Put on a 16 valve head and scare hot hatches.

Alternatively, put in a Rover V8 and scare Porsches!

1980 Triumph TR7 dhc 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Rust, rust, rust.

Inadequate maintenance by Previous Owner meant that the gearbox needed replacing. Electrics can be erratic if you do not periodically check out connections.

General Comments:

Lots of scope for modernisation. Easily available electronic ignition and suspension improvements bring it to the 90s. New panels etc are cheap & common so rust is not such a problem.

Expect to spend a little but often on maintenance.

Good fun at a low price.

Review Date: 21st December, 1997