1980 Triumph TR7 DHC GM 2.8 V6 MPFI from North America

Summary:

Solid simplicity that puts a smile on your face

Everything, and yet nothing.

I bought the car as a semi-rolling restoration.

It's in its second winter of resto work. The back end was done last winter, and the front end's getting done this winter, together with a new drivetrain.

General Comments:

Great. I love my TR7 drophead.

Solid, basic design. Everything's "right there". Easy to fix and generally very forgiving to work on. It's possible to get any component, although to be honest there's not much that can go wrong with them, and if you know what you're doing they can be very rewarding to own.

I've had lots of sports cars. Midgets, TR7s, MX5s, MR2...

The MX5s were a lot of fun and I had my eye out for another one. However this TR7 came up and I figured for the same money (5000 CAD) I could have a decent MX5 or a TR7 and 3000$ to spend fixing it up.

The MX5 would have been the right decision for a daily driver. But the TR7 was the right decision for a summer time blast, and there's nothing else like it for exclusivity. When you're in an MX5 you're just another guy. When you're in a tastefully modified TR7, everyone wants to know what it is and the story behind it.

Review Date: 4th February, 2016

7th Feb 2016, 04:07

Tell us more about the 60-Degree Chevy V-6 part of the story (Great idea, BTW).

1980 Triumph TR7 DHC 2.0L from North America

Summary:

Best car ever for a warm sunny day

Original engine had in-warranty head gasket trouble. Put in new short block at 100,000 miles. Fine since.

AC compressor (York) seems to have shorter life than expected. But easy to replace.

General Comments:

1980 30th Anniversary Edition bought new in 1982 from leftover stock at a Jag dealer. Just celebrated its own 30th year with new paint and collector plates.

Review Date: 14th April, 2010

1980 Triumph TR7 DHC 2.0L 4 cylinder stock from North America

Summary:

Just plain fun!

The problems from the stock TR-7 were minor, actually, I was glad that the small stuff went instead of the big things.

I expected to change a few bulbs and screws here and there, but the most surprising thing was that the car was holding together very well.

I replaced the bad seals and headlights, but that's all really. I did run into brake lock up because the calipers froze due to rust. It was my bad though.

General Comments:

NOTICE: This car I have had for most of the time was my own conversion to a Wankel Rotary twin turbo engine. I did own the original car for about 10,000 miles though.

This TR7 originally came with the 2.0 DHC 4 cylinder engine mounted on a 5 speed transmission. It was a drop top, which I later customized to a targa top.

The best part about this car, is that you are not worried about dinging it here or there, because it's already old. You drive it how it's supposed to be driven, you jump in and have fun. This car is a great daily commuting car as well because of the gas mileage. I drive slow in the city so maybe the numbers are off compared to others.

If anyone is looking for cheap, sharp, fun little project, the TR-7 is right for you.

With the stock engine I was quite impressed at the quickness and the sound, with a custom exhaust and ports it sounded great.

I also got around town with it @ an average of 34 MPG High 41 Low 21. After I converted the car to the Rotary engine I dropped to about 24.

Total amount of money spent, $3,800 on paint, engine and transmission ($2,500) and other minor parts to make it great.

This is the most fun car I have owned ever! Even without the rotary engine I recommend to anyone who wants to have a thrill car.

Stats: With the RX7 twin turbo unit, I ran 0-60 in 4.9 sec vs. 9, 284 hp vs. 107, and 161 mph vs. 126 mph. (Location where tested is undisclosed)

Review Date: 27th May, 2003

5th Aug 2004, 12:58

Sorry to say, but I left the TR7 for something a little more practical now that work commuting is taking over my life. I don't have any pictures either. There is a website that could probably help you with a customization of a Targa TR7 www.triumphtr7.com. They have everything regarding the TR7. Sorry again.