2008 Vauxhall Astra Design 1.8 from UK and Ireland

A quality build and feel

Nothing- the C4 TFS was an absolute dream to drive. Only sold it as I needed a larger boot area for my dogs.

General Comments:

The Vauxhall 1.8 Design model is a refined car. It is responsive and well equipped.

The cabin area is nice with a black console. It has comfy seats, with leather inserts.

Review Date: 15th July, 2010

8th Feb 2014, 08:07

Quite agree. I like them so much I have purchased three (two Life and one Club). The second-hand values are brilliant, having been overshadowed by the both new model and the dearer Ford Focus. All 3 are 1.8 autos, and the oldest has covered 80K without a single problem - superb strong engines from Vauxhall.

2008 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.7 CTDi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Sporty and Sexy!

Nothing at all!

General Comments:

Love the Astra SRi 1.7 (100bhp), in the 3 door the car is a class act!

I also have the 18" alloys fitted and that really adds to the drive.

When the Astra advert used to say "Put the fun back into driving" they weren't kidding.

The fuel consumption can be a bit of a joke (38-39 mpg), but I think that may be because of the way I drive. In my defense: this car loves to be thrapped, it's not as fun to drive "gently".

If you decide to get one, get the colour "Silver Lightning", it's a blue/silver and hides the dirt really well and looks sportier than the black!

Review Date: 21st December, 2008

21st Dec 2008, 16:37

LOL 100 bhp from a 1.7, Vauxhall still living in the stone age then? ROFL.

8th Mar 2010, 14:27

It's a diesel, that's why.

9th Apr 2014, 07:09

I got the 1.9 diesel, and it has been nothing but PROBLEMS!

Spent almost as much on repairs as I did on the car in the first place.

Would never buy another Vauxhall :(

2008 Vauxhall Astra SXI - Sport Hatch 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

So far, so good!

I've had the car for nearly 3 weeks, and nothing has gone wrong yet!

General Comments:

Bought the car new as I work for one of Vauxhalls long list of "partner" companies e. g BT, Royal Mail, and got a 15% discount.

The 1.4 16v engine seems quite quick to me, as I previously owned a 1.2 8v Corsa. It's not blistering, and is suitable for those who aren't worried about performance. I feel that most people who have had 1.6 engines and higher will find it sluggish. 0-60 is quoted at 12.7 seconds. I'm returning around 45mpg.

The interior features/dash are very user friendly, the best part being the volume and trip computer controls located on the steering wheel, very well placed. The slight let down are the knobs used to adjust the blowers; they are low down and are hard to see.

The indicators are the new touch type, which are annoying to begin with, but actually to my surprise, now I am used to them, are great.

The "sports" seats are very supportive and have good side suppport, and also have lumbar adjustment for your lower back and height adjustment, both which are useful. The back seats are also good for a 3 door vehicle.

The car gets a lot of stick for its rear visibility. The rear windscreen is small, but you do get used to it, and it's not a massive issue like I thought it would be. Parking sensors are optional.

Handling is good, there is only slight body roll, and the lowered sports suspension which comes as standard isn't as hard as some reviews made out, and is not as hard as I expected, it caters well.

The service from the Vauxhall dealership was of a high standard, and they were good to deal with. Vauxhall have allowed me to spread my service costs so I will have a "free" service come next year.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase so far, and would recommend you consider one if you are after a 3 door hatch.

Review Date: 5th June, 2008