2008 Vauxhall Astra VXR 2.0 turbo from UK and Ireland

Awesome - don't be put off by its slightly rubbish image - if you do, you'll be missing out!

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

Having had to wait ages for my car to arrive (I ordered it in January), it finally turned up last week and I couldn't be happier with it.

Since ordering it I had been doing a lot of reading on the Internet (probably should have done this before placing the order), and was a bit worried that I was getting a chavmobile that was going to torque-steer me into the nearest ditch. It is however I'm please to report well built, fairly discreet (in black anyway), rapid & serious fun to drive.

The hyper-sensitive throttle & sharp brakes take a bit of getting used to especially in traffic, but other than that, it really is awesome.

Currently fuel economy is pretty poor but I've been informed that this should get a little better once it is properly run in, but am fairly realistic and know it's never gonna be a Prius!

The interior is a nice place to be, and there hasn't been one passenger so far who hasn't commented on how great the standard Recaro's are, and how good the interior design and finish is. It really does look and feel like a quality product, emphasised by a solid thunk when you shut the doors.

My only small downer is the lack of rear visibility and the thick B-pillars, but to be honest they are minor, and the way the car looks due to its small glass area more than makes up for the minor inconvenience in my opinion. Park one next to a Focus ST and you'll see what I mean!

Review Date: 30th April, 2008

24th Sep 2009, 17:46

I find your review to be a good one, with some good points made!

My better half owns a 2007 VXR, and after driving it quite a bit, I feel I can give a decent review.

Looks - Vauxhall have always known how to make a hot hatch look good, and the VXR is no exception... it looks very lairy!

Handling - handling has never been one of Vauxhall's strong points, but the VXR is not too bad, but it does torque steer and understeer a little bit too much, too many ponies!

Performance - This car has performance aplenty... it leaves my ratty old FTO GPX in a straight line, but not in the corners I'm afraid, but when driving the VXR it does not feel that fast... it's a deceptive car.

Overall impression = it's quick, looks the part, but the rear view is poor, and the indicators need binning, and it handles like a dustbin really... it's a good progression from the old GSi Turbo, but in the corners it's still no sports car, nor a 205GTi... my ratty old FTO will kill this thing in the twisties and that's a fact, and the missus will agree :)

25th Sep 2009, 09:02

They really aren't that bad at handling, I think people get carried away with tales of torque steer. You only need look at how fast these cars go around tracks to appreciate they will go round bends.

The Nurburgring edition only had a couple of tweaks (none to the suspension) and look how fast that lapped the track it is named after, 8 minutes 35 seconds isn't achieved from grunt alone and the FTO could not match that.