1991 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.0 I from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An outstanding car destined to become a Classic

ECU went in Almeria Spain in April 2004 whilst on a 6 week touring holiday of Europe with a Abbey 16 Ft 5 Berth Caravan in tow. Opel Dealer supplied and fitted a new one for an overall cost of £500.00.

Replaced cam shaft and refaced Head before trip as Head gasket blowing and engine in need of a clean up due to very high mileage.

Car used as a reps car and was averaging 50,000 miles a year until August 2003.

General Comments:

The level of comfort in my Carlton CDX makes it impossible for me to find a replacement for towing my Caravan. Although my wife owns an Omega GLS 2 Ltr the comfort level of the Omega is so much lower.

I am at present going to replace the Oil pump due to low oil pressure and have the Boot lid resprayed as the paint finish is blistered.

Review Date: 8th August, 2004

1991 Vauxhall Carlton 3000 GSi 24V 3.0 GSi 24v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

George Stark

The car started missing as if running on 5 cylinders. I put new plug leads, then a rotor arm and finally a new set of plugs. That did the trick.

General Comments:

When I bought this car I didn't know what to expect. I felt it was running a little flat. But after the new sparks, it cracks me up.

It is so smooth and fast. Taking tight bends and corners means I can really get the back-end going in the strictest confidence.

Just like being at the funfair. The Waltzer.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2003

1991 Vauxhall Carlton GSI3000 24V 3.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A excellent all rounder with loads of interior space and bags of performance

Damp got into the ignition system at 150K.

A main radiator hose blew at 157K.

The headlamps have just decided to stay on dipped even with all the lights switched off and the ignition key removed. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this one, I'd love to hear from you please.

General Comments:

The performance is breathtaking.

An extremely well built and comfortable car for long distances.

Spares can be pricey (especially rear springs)

Watch out for rust on the front and rear chassis members.

Review Date: 10th March, 2003

20th Aug 2005, 12:45

Man, I was going to say that!

1991 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A cheap alternative to a BMW 5 series touring

Battery needed replacing at approximately 108000 miles.

Front tyres replaced along with track rod ends at approximately 110000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is an excellent long distance load carrier.

It handles and performs very well for such a big car.

The load space is cavernous.

The combination of a big 6-cylinder engine and Vauhxhalls' excellent 3 mode automatic gearbox makes for effortless motoring. I regularly drive from Derby to Exeter, a journey of 250 miles in on go. At the end of the journey, I feel as fresh as when I start.

The equipment level is pretty comprehensive with electric windows all around, electric sunroof, cruise control, heated front seats and a reasonably good CD sound system.

In 6 months of ownership, repair bills have been pretty cheap and reliability has been very good. The car has only let me down once due to battery failure.

There are only 2 criticisms I have about this car: Things can get a bit wallowy in the corners if pressed too far and the car can be thirsty in town. I get about 19 miles per gallon. However, on motorway type high speed and long distance driving, the fuel consumption rises to a more respectable 33 miles per gallon.

That said, the initial cheap purchase price of just £950 and the low cost of spares offset the big fuel bills to a large extent. Even the insurance is fairly cheap.

Review Date: 19th April, 2002

1991 Vauxhall Carlton GLI Saloon 2.0i petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent Budget Buy

Minor engine oil leak.

Minor Fuel Leak.

General Comments:

Excellent value for money, loads of add-ons, electric mirrors, windows, sunroof, etc. Far superior to the Cav in my opinion. Performance not bad but can be thirsty if your heavy right footed!. Huge boot and rear seats fold down as well giving you loads of luggage room. Mine was 2 owners, ex-fleet car, It'd probably do 200,000 miles easy :-). Cost me £200, spent £100 on having front pads, and discs changed, still £600 for it part-ex. Higher spec models have now fallen in price as well.

Review Date: 7th April, 2002