1991 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A class car with high performance

The fuel sender unit needed replacing at 112,000 miles.

General Comments:

The 2.6 is a very fast car and handles very well, it will see off most cars. The only one that has given me a problem is a 528 BMW.

I have had it up to 147mph and it still wanted to go more.

I have had no problems apart from the fuel sender unit failing, which cost £160 to replace.

Fuel economy is good too, I can average 37 to the gallon doing motorway work and 25 to the gallon urban.

Insurance is relatively low, insurance group 13.

I have looked at getting a newer car, but I will have to go for a BMW or Mercedes to match the gadgets and comfort and spend thousands more to gain a few years.

Review Date: 1st April, 2002

1991 Vauxhall Carlton CDXI 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Wouldn't go mad, but it's a reliable work horse

Nothing. The only thing that I suspect is clocking. The car has definetly done more than the current shown 156000. Hence this is why I have put it at 275000.

The numbers do not line up and there are lots of very worn bits. The camshaft is knackered but I found out after buying that the head has to be removed to fix this. It can stay knackered!!!

General Comments:

It's a good reliable work horse. Gets me from A to B in relative comfort and I know it won't let me down. Fully loaded with computer, cruise, electric windows, sunroof, mirrors etc.

I wouldn't go mad for it. but if you're after an everyday dependable car with all the toys and decent performance/fuel consumption, then a CDX will fit the bill great.

Bodywork after 10 years is still pristine. 1 scab of rust on a rear door and that is it!

Review Date: 21st December, 2001

1991 Vauxhall Carlton CD 2.0 injection from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A good quality car available at a low price

Thermostat had failed when purchased. £15 from Halfords plus new antifreeze & water.

Battery replaced as a precaution, as still on the 8 year old original.

New track rod required at first MOT, £39 + labour.

One new tyre so far at £86. Michelin Pilot - good tyres.

The wheels can be difficult to remove as the alloy welds to the steel hubs.

Air conditioning has not worked since I owned the car. Traced to a leaky radiator, but I have chosen not to replace this.

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable and capable car.

For its 10 years it is in excellent condition. The only rust appears to be from a joint in the rear wheel arches (each side) where stone chips expose these to water & salt.

On a run it has achieved over 41 miles per gallon.

It is not quick off the mark, but eats long distances easily.

Its solid construction and thick panels protect it from minor car park knocks.

It is a bit underpowered, especially when towing, when it is also prone to overheat. An electric fan to replace or assist the one fitted will overcome this.

My brother in law saw 242,000 miles from his Carlton before it was written off. So I expect many more miles out of mine.

Review Date: 7th September, 2001

1991 Vauxhall Carlton GLi 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Long lasting solid comfort

The car pinks or "pre-ignition" at steady throttle, particularly at over 2000 RPM. I think this is the ECU, but a 91 ROM octane rating plug has improved this.

Several coolant hose failures at around 100k miles, but this was due to bad servicing.

The ignition key lock failed at 115k. One of the central locking servos failed at 125k.

Occasionally fails to turn over, particularly when hot, due to poor voltage gain to the solenoid.

General Comments:

Despite previous abuse, very little major goes wrong. No bodywork rust at 10 years. Some under-body corrosion, but treated with good quality under-seal.

Very comfortable, particularly out of town.

Top speed must be excellent with only 2700 rpm at 70MPH. Very economical for the size of car, beats Sierra etc.

Watch the front chassis legs for rust under the bonnet, particularly towards the bulkhead.

Review Date: 18th May, 2001