1987 Vauxhall Cavalier Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1987 Vauxhall Cavalier CDi 2.0 from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2000
Previous carCavalier GLS Cavalier 1.6

Summary:

It was fast n fun to drive.. but the bills gave me a pain....

From word go a constant front caliper fault. Spent over £400 trying to sort it with no joy. Squealing & groaning from the discs when hot constantly... This was when you were NOT applying the brakes!

Usual rubber gaiters everywhere on the car.

Exhaust manifold burnt to a crisp.. well you gotta laugh.. I had to when I got the bills. 2 full exhaust systems.

One set of tyres.

General Comments:

Apart from the moan, this believe it or not was probably my best car. It was always on tap. The engine was just so fast it amazed me everytime I drove it. The top speed was unreal too. It would do 110mph just like that. The handling was very snappy too. Not the best ride I'd ever had though. It was the most fun car I've ever driven. Just a shame I had to pay the repair bills!! The 1.6ltr I had before was a snail.. but drove the same.

Review Date: 14th May, 2000

1987 Vauxhall Cavalier CDi 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 petrol

Bought at 60,000 no faults except 1 blown tail light bulb till 110,000 - snapped front brake disc, sold at 140,000 miles after nearly 4 years of trouble free motoring, I've never had a car that passed all it's MOT's without requiring anything before or since.

General Comments:

A very reliable and comfy car, topped out at 126mph on clock, never used any oil between changes right up to 140,000 hard miles (I am very heavy footed). I only traded it to get a 2.6 Carlton.

Review Date: 21st March, 1999

1987 Vauxhall Cavalier GL 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 petrol

Nothing at all really, apart from wear and tear, I have had the car for the past eight years and I have only changed the clutch and exhaust once.

General Comments:

Superb car, it is still in amazing condition for a car that is eleven years old. I am now on the verge of buying a 1997 Vectra SRi 16V, hopefully it will be as good as this one.

Review Date: 26th September, 1998

5th Feb 2003, 19:03

Hello Steven.

Take my advice, Don't buy a Vectra especially the 2.0 16v you will be very disappointed. I've owned cavalier all my driving life. I started with an A, (1.6) B, (1.6) C (1.8), F (2.0) Reg Cavaliers and obviously I loved them as I bought more than one.

Then I made a big mistake and bought a 9 month old (S Reg) 2.0 16v Vectra with just 9k miles. There is a BIG and well known problem with the camshaft and crankshaft sensors (I've had both on mine changed TWICE and it's only done 64k.) I was also very disapointed with the power and ride, though the handling is better than the Cav.

My advice would be to wait a little and go for the newer 2.2 litre engine.

Good Luck.