1997 Vauxhall Frontera Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1997 Vauxhall Frontera TDS 2.5 from UK and Ireland

Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

Top notch 4x4

I can't fault this vehicle at all, the only things that I have had to have done on this vehicle are:

A repair to the rear window sticking (motor seized).

The rear axle diff cover needed replacing, as I had a major leak problem. It wasn't just the gasket; the metal cover plate actually corroded, which I thought was a bit strange?!

Apart from usual wear and tear items, it's a great car and highly recommended, especially with a set of all terrain tyres on... yes, I use it off road regularly.

General Comments:

A highly recommended car in the 4x4 range.

Review Date: 24th July, 2007

14th Mar 2008, 15:57

Spot on review. I had the same problems; mainly the diff cover on the rear axle. I know this is a common trait with this vehicle, but otherwise it's a smashing vehicle and very underestimated.

1997 Vauxhall Frontera LWB 2.5 Estate 2.5 TD from UK and Ireland

Model year1997
Engine and transmission 2.5 TD Manual
Previous carVauxhall Civic

Summary:

A1 all round vehicle economical for size and safe

Head cracked at 100K fixed it and all was well.

Blowing blue smoke and using water! But runs a treat. Is this another head away again?

Can't fault the vehicle so long as it's well maintainrd and plenty of TLC.

General Comments:

Good all round vehicle..a little underpowered, but has been a good worker.

Planning to buy another if it behaves it's self for the next year.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2006

1997 Vauxhall Frontera 5 door estate 2.5 TDS from UK and Ireland

Model year1997
Engine and transmission 2.5 TDS Manual
Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

First class!

New battery

Rear nearside electric window fault

That's it!

General Comments:

I looked at buying a Toyota surf, Isuzu trooper, and a discovery, before settling on the Vauxhall Frontera, and I'm glad I did, It's a brilliant car and I'm very happy with its on and offroad capability. Its well built and the performance from the 2.5 turbo diesel is good. The Frontera is excellent value for money compared to what you pay for shoddy examples of other makes.

Review Date: 20th February, 2006

22nd Feb 2008, 17:06

Since I originally posted this comment I still have not had any problems with the vehicle except the rear axle diff cover started to leak due to corrosion, which is a common problem on the frontera, not really a major prob although the replacement cover is about £50 to £60, which is quite pricey for a bit of pressed metal.

6th Mar 2009, 16:19

Another year on, and I'm still very happy with my Frontera, still no problems other than new tyres, brake pads, which are your normal wear and tear stuff.

Best bit was the recent snow we had, the Frontera performed excellent both off road and in the snowy and icy road conditions, and here's the best bit! I had to tow a 2008 Range Rover out of trouble after the driver got it stuck in a snow drift! So all your doubters out there, yes the Frontera has its little niggles, but it's great value for money, and I have no intention of parting with my 1997 model.

12th Jul 2011, 13:03

And another year on, still no problems with the Frontera, all she needed was a couple of brake pipes and a front wheel bearing for the MOT. The motor still runs well, and no real niggles except the annoying door rubbers that came unstuck on the back doors, which I cured with Gorilla glue (good product).

1997 Vauxhall Frontera 2.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carCitroen Xsara

Summary:

Very nice, apart from that black smoke

I seem to have a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust, especially when I'm changing up a gear, but even on the flat, when I go to change, it lets out a puff of black smoke. I have had this 3 weeks, and had it back in garage twice; I am thinking of forgetting the deal. Is this black smoke normal?

Review Date: 5th March, 2005

13th Mar 2005, 08:15

It is a diesel. They all make black smoke. This is because of unburned fuel being chucked out of the exhaust. All diesels do the same. It is quite normal.

15th Sep 2005, 10:28

I have a 97 Frontera 5 door estate. I bought it when it was 3 yrs old. I change the oil and filter about every 6000 miles and use Castrol Magnatec GTD. There is no black smoke except a little on start up which is normal. If your vehicle is putting out a lot of smoke. if it is a diesel perhaps it needs the injectors overhauling. If it is petrol a good service may help if not get rid because the rings may be shot.

9th Dec 2010, 05:20

My Frontera used to give black smoke until I found that the turbo collector had to be soldered. After that, no smoke. Great Jeep.